Bird Alert in the Yakima Herald-Republic

  • osprey@nwinfo.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30 7:37 PM
      Many of you know that I write the Bird Alert the Outdoors section in the
      Thursday Yakima Herald-Republic. You might also have noticed that there was
      not one in this morning's paper.

      That is because I have received very few reports of bird sightings this past
      week. It has been somewhat difficult coming up with enough birding news to
      fill the space every week. Scott Sandsberry, the reporter at the
      Herald-Republic to whom I send the bird alert, has told me that it is not
      necessary to have one in every week - just when there is something
      interesting to report.

      I think there is a need for birding news every week. Scott asked me to send
      him the reports of bird sightings to include in the paper to add some
      balance to the hunting and fishing articles in the Outdoor section. It has
      been quite rewarding to get comments from people not only in Yakima Audubon
      about the bird alert but also from people I know outside of Audubon,
      especially the guys at the lumber yard who know I am interested in birding.
      People do seem to enjoy reading about the birds in our area.

      So, in order to have enough birding news to write about every week, I need
      your help. Please send reports of the birds you see and your observations
      about birds and birding to BirdYak. That is why BirdYak was started - to
      have a forum for everyone to share their bird sightings with others who are
      interested in getting them.

      The more news we generate, the more we can share it and our love of birds
      and birding with the people of Yakima who read about it once a week in the
      Yakima Herald-Republic.

      Thank you,

      Denny
      * Denny Granstrand *