Western Tanager

  • Paul Huffman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1 5:15 PM
      I found a dead western tanager this morning under the dense spruce
      trees leading into the Nelson Springs fisheries research station.
      Identification of a western tanager is generally not difficult, but
      this one was a lead pipe cinch because he held so still and let me get
      so close.
    • Jeff Kozma
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2 6:56 AM
        While working up the Clover Springs road in the Nile above Larry
        Robinson's house, we saw and heard a Western Tanager yesterday. In
        addition, we observed a pair of Golden Eagles flying over. We also
        got to watch some Red Crossbills feeding on the ground on fallen
        Douglas-fir cones. It was great to watch them extract seeds from the
        cones within very easy and close viewing distances...compared to them
        usually feeding at the top of tall conifers.

        Also of note in the last few days were many Townsend's Solitaires in
        the ponderosa pine zone.

        Jeff Kozma
        Terrace Heights
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2 8:39 PM

          Yesterday, Eloisa, my wife, bragged that she bagged a Western Tanager
          in a backyard tree. And one of those long-billed birds with a red top just
          down the street as she was driving.

          Well today, the Western Tanager returned on my shift and delighted me
          while it bathed in the bird bath. Inspired me to get brave and hook up my
          dripper. Surely the hard freezes have frosted the valley enough by now.

          The Cassin's Finches have dropped to a half-dozen or so and we have
          twice that many White-crowned Sparrows. Also a Red-breasted
          Nuthatch courtesy of the Fisher Park Golf Course conifers I'm sure. I
          hope all of you who double-dabble in golf get out to this endangered
          course. Otherwise my yard list will drop faster than a skulled duck
          hook off a titanium driver.

          Three Pine Siskins jostled the thistle feeder with six Goldfinch. A few
          days back, a male Rufous Hummingbird sampled sugar at my freshly
          hung feeder. Haven't been buzzed since.

          Finally, two Yellow-rumped Warblers...beautiful birds but as common
          as double bogies at Fisher Park Golf and Country Club just a half wedge
          away.

          If you can't take time to bird, at least take a divot! At Fisher of course.
          Your efforts will allow me to yardbird over here at the nineteenth hole.

          Still waiting on that long-billed redhead.

          Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone
          Divot Digger, retired

          favorites at AOL Food.

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009

            Just had a male Western Tanager with just a blush of reddish on his
            forehead visit my birdbath...equipped with a milk jug dripper. Still don't
            trust these chilly nights to hook my tube dripper.

            Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone

          • elizabethbohn
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1 4:35 PM
              Yakkers,

              I have Western Tangers at my house as well.

              Elizabeth (elizabethannbohn.com)

              --- In BirdYak@yahoogroups.com, Rich712@... wrote:

              > Chirp,
              >
              > Just had a male Western Tanager with just a blush of reddish on his
              > forehead visit my birdbath...equipped with a milk jug dripper. Still don't
              > trust these chilly nights to hook my tube dripper.
              >
              > Later,
              > Rich
              > Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone

            • Sherrel Hailstone
              Message 6 of 12 , May 16 10:14 AM
                Oh - exciting! We have a Western Tanager hanging out in the back yard right now. Bruce said he saw it yesterday too, but didn't get as good a look at it. It's a first yard bird for us.

                Bruce and Sherrel Hailstone
                72/Washington area.

              • Nancy Darby
                Message 7 of 12 , May 15 3:55 PM
                  Hi, Yakkers,
                  I thought I would post this as it is not a common sighting for me. We birded in Crow's Butte on Friday May 13th and found a male western Tanager near the day use area. Beautiful bird.
                  Keep birding,

                  Nancy
                  ritzyteach@...
                  Kennewick, Wa
                • Michael Roper
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 4 5:16 PM
                    I've been hearing Western Tanagers in the yard for the last 3 days but they've been eluding me in the tall trees. Finally today I had a little more time and found one, an absolutely gorgeous male. Well worth the time to look for it!
                    Mike Roper
                    Terrace Heights
                  • king.linda93
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 27 10:38 AM

                      Greetings!

                      I am beginning to think I need to plant my daughter Sarah at the kitchen window because once again she called me to the kitchen saying, "Another rare bird, Mom."  Rare indeed...life bird for us and new to our yard...a male Western Tanager in all of its breeding finery.

                      I was able to get a few photos through the window before it flew. We have used the call since but so far it has not responded.

                      I see where they will come for small fruit but the only thing I have available for them is grape jelly in the oriole feeder. Does anyone have them in their yard and if so what are your observations?

                      Linda King, the old rookie birder in White Swan

                    • moonax52
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 27 11:01 AM

                        Hi Linda, this must be tanager day!  I just had a pretty male in my birdbath. The first one I've seen this year.  They usually come through here every spring but only stay a couple days. I know that they nest up around Bickleton, probably do in your neck of the woods too, but I don't know for sure. In my yard they like leftover Mt Ash berries when there are any, and love the dripping birdbath.

                        Phyllis -    Grandview

                      • moonax52
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 30, 2014

                          I noticed in yesterdays Bird Alert that  someone had seen one in Sunnyside. I was also very surprised yesterday to see a pretty male eating berries in a little Mulberry tree that I have.  Couldn't believe seeing one this time of year.

                          Phyllis - east of Grandview

                          PS Our resident Swainsons Hawks fledged in the last week.  Looks like 3 babies again this year. Parents must be good hunters.

                        • Scott Downes
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 30, 2014
                            I think there has been some post-breeding dispersal happening. I've heard one tanager around our house this week in Yakima and saw a female tanager at WDFW headquarters in Yakima today eating berries during lunch. This happens by many species after their breeding attempt but before southward migration.

                            Scott Downes
                            Yakima Wa