Buchanan - Goose evicted, ownership remains in dispute

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2008

      My granddaughter and I checked out the Osprey nesting platform at
      Buchanan Lake this afternoon. At first the nest was empty but as we
      walked along the lake, three Osprey converged on the nest. One bird
      landed with a stick and was immediately buzzed by one of the others.

      The two non-landing birds then circled fairly high. The third bird, by
      size a female, added another stick. When she came back with a
      third stick, a male with legs dropping (possibly a pair bonding display)
      swooped close enough to cause her to drop the stick.

      A Canada Goose (the former tenant??) forlornly watched the action
      from the lake's largest island. A second goose was at sea, many
      meters away.

      On Monday, I ventured out to Galloway Road near Suntides to check
      on sunset Robins. A recent edition of Bird Watcher's Digest featured
      an article on Robins which stated that male Robins use a night
      roost all year long. When the young fledge, they accompany the
      male to the roost. So I thought I would check the big GBBC roost
      for activity six weeks after Presidents' Day.

      The fifteen minutes prior to sunset, 60 Robins a minute were flying
      north of my observation point. Same area most were tallied during
      the GBBC, peaking at 1,000 a minute. The ten minutes at sunset,
      7:30 pm, I peaked at 100 per minute. At 7:40 the count tailed off to
      50 -60 per minute. I had 2,400 Robins and 900 Starlings in a half-
      hour.

      Hope to survey the roost area next CBC, then early in February,
      and then again a couple of times in March next year.

      The male Robins going to a roost year round strikes me as odd.
      I would guess that during breeding season they would find a
      roost close to the nesting site.

      Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone