Just ignore those dark clouds!

  • JOHN HEBERT
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2008
      Despite the constant "threat" of rain it was a very
      pleasant afternoon of birding in the Lower Valley.

      After Jeff's report of WHITE-THROATED SWIFT, I wanted to
      take a close look at their roost under the I-82 overpass.
      From Fulbight Park in Union Gap you can drive/walk an
      access road under the Hwy-97 and I-82 overpasses.
      Despite being there, in a light wind, for about a half
      hour, I saw only one bird. I'm sure they will return
      in greater numbers in the coming weeks.

      There were WHITE PELICANS at various location on/above
      the Yakima River South of MP 50 on I-82.

      A pair of OSPREY were at the nest on Indian Church south of
      Hwy-223. I hope this means they're nesting early. I have
      seen a pair at the site shading chicks in summer heat in
      excess of 100 degrees.

      The colorful highlight of today's adventure was a lone male
      CINNAMON TEAL at Satus Wildlife Area. If you have never
      been to this area you will want to join our Audubon Field
      Trip on May 31.

      John Hebert