re: Unknown Bird

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2008
      David,

      Your description matches our accipiters...likely a Sharp-shinned or
      Cooper's Hawk as a Northern Goshawk would be much larger. The first
      two occur fairly regularly in the winter months, often stalking active
      feeders. The Sharpie and Cooper's can be a challenge to tell apart,
      especially if only viewed from one angle. Most field guide illustrations
      also depict side views of birds so you have to use your imagination a
      bit to imagine front or rear views. Both are primarily "surprise" hunters
      favoring busting into a flock of feeding birds and hoping one will be
      slow to flee.

      As usual, you seem to have a nice count of California Quail. They
      would be attractive to the larger Cooper's or a Goshawk. And, of
      course, the(Quail & hawks) would make a nice addition to the Great
      Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) that starts Feb 15 (Friday morning) and
      continues through Monday Feb 18. I hope you will participate, it is
      fun, easy, has no fee or registration hassle. The count helps scientists
      gather info on the numbers and location of birds...common or rare.

      Visit their website anytime between now and the count ending for
      all kinds of information and tips. Here is a link. Usually, BirdYak will
      double list it but one of the two will work:

      _www.birdsource.org/gbbc/_ (http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/)

      Once there, click on Learn About Birds and then of the Tricky IDs...
      scroll down to the Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks and...WOW!
      More information than I could ever give you! I'm headed there now to
      see if I can sharpen my Cooper's skills.

      Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone

      48)