Satus Wildlife Area

  • Kerry Turley
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2001
      Yakkers,
      Needed to walk off some of that Thanksgiving feast from yesterday so Gunter Hadersberger and I birded the SWA and Toppenish area this morning for about three hours. Our target was shorebirds at the SWA but we got a big zero on them. Most abundant birds for the day were MALLARDs at the TWR and best bird of the day was a PEREGRIN FALCON on Hwy 22 between Satus and Toppenish. Felt a bit of winter in the air today and there was lots of fresh snow on Mt. Adams.
      Keep the binos handy,

      Kerry Turley
      304 E. Woodin Rd.
      Sunnyside, WA 98944
    • Kerry Turley
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2005
        Yakkers,

        Yakima Audubon held their annual spring tour of the Satus Wildlife
        Recreation Area, Saturday April 9 and although a bit windy and very dry
        (most of the ponds do not exist this year) we had an enjoyable outing.

        Highlights of the day were the well over 200 AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS, the 2
        GREATER YELLOWLEGS, 2 immature BALD EAGLES and 13 LEAST SANDPIPERS (first
        we've seen in the valley this year).

        Keep your eyes open for future field trips, this is a good way to have
        access to this great birding area that is usually closed to the public.

        Birds seen (in someone's taxonomic order): If I missed any or made any
        mistakes, would someone from the group please chime in and let me know?

        Canada Goose
        Wood Duck
        Gadwall
        Mallard