At the Central Washington Fair...39 species seen

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2007

      At the Central Washington Fair...39 species seen while touring the upper
      level of the Ag Building. I was at the fair on Saturday and managed to
      take a hurried peak at the local photography exhibit before being whisked
      off by my wife to catch this year's star attraction at the fair, my grand-
      daughter. She performed with the Kent School of Dance Show Stoppers
      and, although, she did not have a solo, her dazzling dance dazed doting
      dads, grand and otherwise.

      The photo exhibit didn't exactly feature 39 species but rather 39 of the
      photos earmarked birds as their primary focus. Multiple entries of Wood
      Ducks, Canada Geese, etc., brought the actual species count lower.

      Many fine captures including the ever elusive (at least to YVAS field trips)
      White-tailed Ptarmigan and international specialties I was unable to ID.
      Sure to warm the heart of that old chicken chaser Denny G. was a color
      photo of a rooster.

      BirdYak's Mike Roper's portrait of his Harris's Hawk netted a blue ribbon
      and a nod to include it in the Honor Circle.

      In a private email earlier, Mike had alerted me to a photo entered in the
      International Photo Exhibit of an accipiter. It is labeled as a Cooper's
      Hawk; I agree with Mike...he feels it is a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

      If you make it to the fair, be sure to check out the photos. The local
      entries are mounted on display boards standing in the walkway and
      are grouped in alphabetical order by photographer. The International
      entries are mounted on the building's walls. The accipiter is on the
      west wall, behind the local "D" section.

      Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone