Raptor Wizzard Misses Magic at Poppoff?

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2007

      Today's YVAS walk along the Poppoff Trail began with ten participants,
      including a couple visiting wine country from Texas.

      There was plenty of bird activity and abundance from the very start.
      robust Robins, bountiful butterbutts, and wondrous Wood Ducks.
      My trouble was getting my bins on anything else!

      Finally, three-quarters of the way through the walk, Ruth K. put me
      on a Red-breasted Nuthatch. Ruby-crowned Kinglets immediately
      followed and my day brightened from there.

      The walk's grand finale was a Merlin that remained perched on a
      snag giving all who remained extended scope views. From a distance,
      a closer approach for more rear views, and then we walked under the
      bird and had frontal views. All of this occurred after raptor nut, Mike
      Roper disappeared around a bend and into cottonwoods never to be
      seen again. We lost co-leader John Hebert and his wonder dog Phoo
      at the same time.

      The Merlin appeared to have a full crop, perhaps explaining the long
      views.

      Totals for Robins and Yellow-rumped Warblers are probably woefully
      understated. Dey was everywheres we looked!

      Location: Poppoff Trail Yak County
      Observation date: 9/27/07
      Notes: calm, partly cloudy,62-68 Degrees
      Number of species: 28

      Canada Goose 3
      Wood Duck 26
      Mallard 1
      California Quail 2
      Pied-billed Grebe 1
      Double-crested Cormorant 1
      Great Blue Heron 2
      American Kestrel 2
      Merlin 1
      Killdeer 1
      Spotted Sandpiper 1
      Belted Kingfisher 2
      Downy Woodpecker 6
      Northern Flicker 12
      Black-billed Magpie 6
      Black-capped Chickadee 2
      Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
      Bewick's Wren 3
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet 3
      American Robin 47
      European Starling 57
      Yellow-rumped Warbler 28
      Spotted Towhee 1
      Song Sparrow 3
      White-crowned Sparrow 12
      Red-winged Blackbird 4
      Brewer's Blackbird 1
      House Finch 6

      This report was generated automatically by eBird v2

      Later, Rich
      Poppoff Pauper
      Onion Gulch, WA