Aspen Grebe - More Photos

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2007

      I have just checked George Vlahakis's photo site and see that he has
      posted three photos of the Lake Aspen grebe. Again, I have no prior
      Clark's Grebe sightings. I sit here with my Yakima County life list
      spread out in front of me. Pencil in hand, I await ID confirmation from
      the list's knowledgeable birders to chime in with opinions. I think both
      Denny and Kerry favor Clark's from their posts.

      George's photos show marks that I believe support Clark's but they
      also hint at a thicker dark band down the back of the bird's neck than
      field guides illustrate. One of George's shots does show the bird's
      upper wings...perhaps it was preparing to fly or maybe just rearing up.
      The secondaries and most of the primaries show a lot of white at the
      ends...perhaps another plus for Clark's.

      Sibley mentions "Intermediate birds, seen regularly, especially during
      winter, are unidentifiable. Some may be hybrids."

      So, here I remain...pencil ready to strike life list. Experts, do the
      photos rule out Western? I'm finding it hard to eat with a pencil
      frozen in my right hand. Must I brush my teeth with my left hand
      and spend a restless night etching graffiti on my bedding?

      George's photos are at:

      (_http://www.pbase.com/photon180/root_ (http://www.pbase.com/photon180/root)
      )

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 16, 2007

        Here are the reasons I think the Lake Aspen grebe is a Clark's Grebe:

        1) The billis quite yellow/orange. Here is a link to a great photo
        of a Western Grebe:

        http://www.bird-friends.com/BirdPage.php?name=Western%20Grebe

        Note the yellow/green bill. Totally different than the Lake Aspen grebe.

        2) George's third photo of the grebe shows a more extensive white
        wing stripe than a Western Grebe would have. The new edition of the
        National Geographic field guide mentions this.

        3) There is a little more white on the flanks than a Western Grebe
        would show. This bird has a little less than many Clark's Grebes but
        is still more white than a Western.

        4) The dark around the eye is much less than a Western Grebe would
        have in any plummage.

        I think the dark band on the neck is quite subjective. We would need
        photos of both species to make a determination of the Lake Aspen
        grebe's neck band being narrower or wider than a Western's.

        I have sent an e-mail to Steve Mlodinow for his opinion. I will
        forward to his reply when it comes.

        Denny

        * Denny Granstrand *
        * Yakima, WA *
        * dgranstrand@... *
        * Denny's bird photos can be seen online at: *
        http://granstrand.net/gallery/