Wenas Lake

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 15, 2007

      I stopped at Wenas Lake this afternoon on my way back from doing some
      field work. Lots of waterfowl and small numbers of peeps but good
      species totals from what I could ID with my binocs. The interesting
      bird of the day was a goldeneye that was feeding about 100-200 yards
      past the shoreline from the mud. The sun was at a bad angle and it was
      hard to make out any ID characteristics. But, it looked smaller to me
      than a Common Goldeneye and it seemed awfully early for there to be a
      Common Goldeneye this far south. So, I went with Barrow's on the ID.
      Does this make sense???

      Location: Wenas Lake
      Observation date: 8/15/07
      Number of species: 22

      Canada Goose 55
      Mallard 71
      Green-winged Teal 38
      Barrow's Goldeneye 1
      Pied-billed Grebe 1
      Double-crested Cormorant 12
      Great Blue Heron 1
      Killdeer 10
      Solitary Sandpiper 2
      Spotted Sandpiper 1
      Western Sandpiper 6
      Least Sandpiper 2
      Baird's Sandpiper 2
      Red-necked Phalarope 1
      Mourning Dove 1
      Downy Woodpecker 1
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow 1
      Barn Swallow 3
      Western Tanager 1
      Spotted Towhee 1
      House Finch 2
      American Goldfinch 1

      Jeff Kozma
      Yakima

    • Scott Downes
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
        Headed out just after lunch to Wenas Lake to take a break from yard chores.
        The wind was blowing hard. I had hoped to find a an American golden plover
        as there has been a good movement of them throughout eastern WA and Idaho
        recently. No plovers, but did have a few highlights. Few shorebirds, all
        Killdeer, save one Long-billed Dowitcher. On the lake many Wigeon,
        Green-winged Teal and one sleeping RED-NECKED GREBE. On the lake bed there
        was 6 plus American Pipit and 1 LAPLAND LONGSPUR. I tried birding the
        willows in vain in the wind. I managed to pop up a few Yellow-rumped and
        Orange-crowneds but nothing else of note.

        Scott Downes
        downess@...
        Yakima WA
      • Scott Downes
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 26, 2011
          Spent 45 minutes looking for shorebirds at Wenas Lake this evening from 6:45-7:30. The mud is just beginning to get decent now. It is best viewed from the northern access to the lake, rather than the boat launch. Next two weeks should provide some decent shorebirds. This evening I had 5 species of shorebird:

          Killdeer 8
          Spotted Sandpiper 1
          Solitary Sandpiper 1
          Western Sandpiper 13
          Least Sandpiper 3

          In addition to the shorebirds, there was a Greater Scaup in the middle of the lake. Complete list observed below.

          Scott Downes
          downess@...
          Yakima WA

          Wenas Lake, Yakima, US-WA
          Aug 26, 2011 6:45 PM - 7:30 PM
          Protocol: Traveling
          0.5 mile(s)
          23 species

          Canada Goose 19
          Mallard 8
          Blue-winged Teal 3
          Northern Shoveler 7
          Green-winged Teal 4
          Greater Scaup 1
          California Quail 11
          Red-tailed Hawk 1
          Killdeer 8
          Spotted Sandpiper 1
          Solitary Sandpiper 1
          Western Sandpiper 13
          Least Sandpiper 3
          Mourning Dove 4
          Northern Rough-winged Swallow 2
          Violet-green Swallow 3
          Black-capped Chickadee 2
          American Robin 2
          Cedar Waxwing 11
          Yellow Warbler 1
          Savannah Sparrow 3
          House Finch 4
          American Goldfinch 10

          This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)

        • akratty
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 10, 2013
            If anyone is out at the west end of Wenas Lake this weekend and sees a blue, retractable dog leash, please contact me. We were looking at the Snow Goose and other birds on Saturday morning, and it may have fallen out of the car.  We parked just below the old bath house. Thanks for your help!
            Mary Giovanini
            509 406 5872
          • Scott Downes
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 22, 2015
              Ventured out to Wenas Lake this evening. Eight shorebird species were present. Among the more common species, singles of red-necked phalarope, semipalmated sandpiper and solitary sandpiper were seen. Among non-shorebird highlights were three Caspian terns.

              On a side note, it seems as if birders may be the only (or some of the few) people actually following the new no trespassing signs. On Sunday I counted two cars on the lake road, tonight four cars and other times I’ve stopped by in June, also counted vehicles down the lakeshore each time. While we should follow the rules, it appears that by putting up the signs and not enforcing them they are only keeping people out who are mindful of the signs, namely local birders and maybe a few others. Any problems they were having with littering or other access issues before likely has not changed as many people are still in these areas.

              Scott Downes
              Yakima WA