Purple Finch Question

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2001
      Chirp or treat,

      My sister keeps insisting that some of the finches at her feeder are too colorful to be House Finches.  I keep cautioning her that the House Finches are variable in the intensity of color, ranging from orange to faint red to deep crimson. I've told her to check to see if the entire crown is red and if any color is visible on the wings or back.  She has promised to call me on the next questionable bird.

      I was wondering if anyone in residential Yakima has seen Purple Finches with any regularity at their feeders.  I've only had one at mine...wasn't in breeding season either.

      Yesterday (and again today), 10 to 12 Pine Siskins did show up at the feeders.  Today, I had a yard first.  A Mountain Chickadee hung around for most of the day. I've had Black-capped off and on throughout the year. It's nice to be around to keep tabs on the feeder throughout the day.  I sure don't miss the old routine of driving to and from work in the dark.

      My daughter stopped by today and we decided to road test my back with a short walk through the neighborhood.  I thought I was up to half speed but she estimated it was only about a third of normal.  She was walking with her arms folded across her chest and yawning a lot.  Sort of like a bored dog walker sauntering along waiting for a mutt that has to sniff every bush and tree.  At least she didn't have any comments about my posture today.  Monday she said I resembled a toddler listing forward to balance a fully loaded diaper.  We did note one noisy Red-breasted Nuthatch.

      I had to run an errand to Moxee so I swung by the arboretum.  On arrival, I flushed the flock including several Mourning Doves.  The birds had annihilated the seed so I spread two buckets to keep them interested.  All the creatures seem to be passing on the offering of beans and peas.  I was only able to stick around for a few minutes but a Fox Sparrow was present.

      Has anyone checked out the Blue Jay since Kerry was there?

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2001
        Rich and Yakkers,

        House Finches come in an incredible variety of plumages. Some males have
        just a little red on them, some have it all the way to their belly. Some
        are even orange. But all of them have streaks on the sides of their
        bellies. If she is seeing male finches that don't have any streaking on the
        sides of their bellies, those are candidates for Purple Finches. Further
        investigation would be necessary.

        Mountain Chickadee is a pretty incredible feeder bird for residential
        Yakima. Not quite a high on the list as Rose-breasted Grosbeak but still
        way up there.

        Denny

        At 12:37 AM 11/1/2001 EST, you wrote:
        >Chirp or treat,
        >
        >My sister keeps insisting that some of the finches at her feeder are too
        >colorful to be House Finches. I keep cautioning her that the House Finches
        >are variable in the intensity of color, ranging from orange to faint red to
        >deep crimson. I've told her to check to see if the entire crown is red and if
        >any color is visible on the wings or back. She has promised to call me on
        >the next questionable bird.
        >
        >I was wondering if anyone in residential Yakima has seen Purple Finches with
        >any regularity at their feeders. I've only had one at mine...wasn't in
        >breeding season either.
        >
        >Yesterday (and again today), 10 to 12 Pine Siskins did show up at the
        >feeders. Today, I had a yard first. A Mountain Chickadee hung around for
        >most of the day. I've had Black-capped off and on throughout the year. It's
        >nice to be around to keep tabs on the feeder throughout the day. I sure
        >don't miss the old routine of driving to and from work in the dark.
        >
        >My daughter stopped by today and we decided to road test my back with a short
        >walk through the neighborhood. I thought I was up to half speed but she
        >estimated it was only about a third of normal. She was walking with her arms
        >folded across her chest and yawning a lot. Sort of like a bored dog walker
        >sauntering along waiting for a mutt that has to sniff every bush and tree.
        >At least she didn't have any comments about my posture today. Monday she
        >said I resembled a toddler listing forward to balance a fully loaded diaper.
        >We did note one noisy Red-breasted Nuthatch.
        >
        >I had to run an errand to Moxee so I swung by the arboretum. On arrival, I
        >flushed the flock including several Mourning Doves. The birds had
        >annihilated the seed so I spread two buckets to keep them interested. All
        >the creatures seem to be passing on the offering of beans and peas. I was
        >only able to stick around for a few minutes but a Fox Sparrow was present.
        >
        >Has anyone checked out the Blue Jay since Kerry was there?
        >
        >Later,
        >Rich
        * Denny Granstrand *
        * Yakima, WA *