Re: [BirdYak] American Goldfinch and Thistle Photo

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2007
      Most of the thistles we see as roadside or field plants are non-native.
      This goes for Canada Thistle (as in the photo of goldfinch and
      thistles), Bull Thistle, Star Thistle, and Scotch Thistle. As far as I
      know, only the Scotch Thistle is actively sprayed for to prevent it from
      spreading and becoming "common" as are Bull and Star thistles.

      There are a bunch of thistles native to Central Washington such as
      Indian Thistle, Wavy-leaved Thistle, Elk Thistle, Short-styled Thistle,
      Weak Thistle and Hooker's Thistle (got that info from the CW Native
      Plant List).

      Jeff

      --
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender,
      your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader.

      Jeff Kozma
      TFW Wildlife Biologist
      Yakama Nation
      509-865-5121 ext. 6343

    • ty604di@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2007
        Jeff , I just wrote down the short note about what a dog is to us . My 5
        month old Red Healer is at my feet right now under my desk , he is always at my
        side . Thanks , Diane