American Goldfinch and Thistle Photo

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2007

      Andy mentioned in a prior post that he enjoyed Mike Roper's photo of "that
      American Goldfinch buried in its favorite food plant-thistles!" So did I. I
      was especially pleased by the fuzzy-wuzzy array of thistle blooms against the
      blurred green background.

      It set me to thinking, which always leads me to questions. Lots of great
      bird photos have been shared by an array of local photographers/birders on
      BirdYak. I would like to encourage this talented group to "kick it up a notch!"
      I'm not suggesting garlic that TV chef Emeril Lagasse seems to rely on when
      he seeks extra "bam!" on his cooking show. Then again, a couple of freshly
      squeezed drops rubbed onto the lens surface might clear one's head and open a
      clear lane to the subject...but, I digress.

      The photo exhibit at the Central Washington State Fair has long been a
      favorite break from the general zaniness of the overall fair. They have a
      division for local photographers and an animal category. Could a few of "our"
      photographers be nudged into making a few prints for this event? I suspect this
      category has in the past been dominated by mammals (cute puppies/kittens) but
      isn't it time to rustle a few feathers with an avian array?

      There is an entry fee, deadlines, forms, and assorted hoops to jump through
      but think of the honor of becoming "top bird!" A feather splash might even
      prompt a few locals to think of habitat conservation.

      And those thistles in Mike's photo. Are all thistle species considered
      noxious weeds in Yakima County and/or Washington State? And is there any
      possibility that thistles could, through county eradication programs, be reduced to
      a point where our American Goldfinch population could be affected? I am
      under the impression that the Goldfinch use thistle down for nesting material as
      well as the seeds for food. But I am also under the impression that peanut
      butter is the basis for a good sandwich and caviar, which I have never
      sampled, is better suited for fish bait than human consumption.

      R. A. Repp
      Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone

    • Jeff Kozma
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2007
        Most of the thistles we see as roadside or field plants are non-native.
        This goes for Canada Thistle (as in the photo of goldfinch and
        thistles), Bull Thistle, Star Thistle, and Scotch Thistle. As far as I
        know, only the Scotch Thistle is actively sprayed for to prevent it from
        spreading and becoming "common" as are Bull and Star thistles.

        There are a bunch of thistles native to Central Washington such as
        Indian Thistle, Wavy-leaved Thistle, Elk Thistle, Short-styled Thistle,
        Weak Thistle and Hooker's Thistle (got that info from the CW Native
        Plant List).

        Jeff

        --
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender,
        your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader.

        Jeff Kozma
        TFW Wildlife Biologist
        Yakama Nation
        509-865-5121 ext. 6343

      • ty604di@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2007
          Jeff , I just wrote down the short note about what a dog is to us . My 5
          month old Red Healer is at my feet right now under my desk , he is always at my
          side . Thanks , Diane