Tieton River Nature Trail-1 July

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2007
      Yakkers,

      We walked the Tieton River Nature Trail west from the suspension bridge 3
      miles to just beyond the Yakima-Tieton Canal flume. The weather was
      warmish, with only a slight breeze.

      The habitats along the trail which parallels the Tieton River include Black
      Cottonwood riparian, stringers of Douglas-fir, the odd Ponderosa Pine, Garry
      Oak woodland, an aspen-fringed meadow, areas of brush talus and nearby
      cliffs, and Bitterbrush thickets.

      Our bird list was modest, shorter than I had predicted. We did not find,
      despite effort, several species common in the nearby Wenas such as Eastern
      Kingbird, House Wren (!!!),Veery, Yellow Warbler, and Yellow-breasted Chat.

      We saw:

      Great Blue Heron -3, flying overhead upriver
      Red-tailed Hawk - 2, screaming juveniles just learning to fly
      Golden Eagle - 2
      Amererican Kestrel - 2
      Sooty Grouse - 1
      Common Nighthawk - 2
      Black-chinned Hummingbird - 1
      Belted Kingfisher-1, bringing fish to nest
      Lewis's Woodpecker - 10
      Red-naped Sapsucker - 4
      Downy Woodpecker - 1
      Northern Flicker - 5
      Western Wood-Pewee - 25, everywhere!
      Pacific-slope Flycatcher - 2
      Western Kingbird - 3
      Cassin's Vireo - 20, almost everywhere, singing at midday
      Warbling Vireo - 10
      Steller's Jay - 8
      American Crow - 3
      Common Raven - 3
      Violet-green Swallow - 15
      N. Rough-winged Swallow - 5
      Cliff Swallow - 50
      Black-capped Chickadee - 5
      Mountain Chickadee - 8
      Bushtit - 1, 1 mile west suspension bridge
      Red-breasted Nuthatch - 5
      American Robin - 3
      Cedar Waxwing - 3
      Nashville Warbler - 2
      Western Tanager - 10, female bringing food (caterpillar) to nest
      Black-headed Grosbeak - 15, many singing cheerfully at 1 pm!
      Lazuli Bunting - 10, lots of singing at midday, too
      Spotted Towhee - 35, fledged young conspicious
      Chipping Sparrow - 10, adults feeding fledged young
      Dark-eyed Junco - 3
      Brewer's Blackbird - 2
      Brown-headed Cowbird - 10
      Bullock's Oriole - 12, fledged young parked in fruiting Serviceberry
      Red Crossbill - 2 overhead