Hybrid Flicker

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007
      Today, while up monitoring cavity nests in the nile, I realized one of
      the males of a pair of flickers is a hybrid Yellow-shafted x
      Red-shafted. It has the red mustache of a Red-shafted but also has the
      red crescent on the back of the head of a male Yellow-shafted. The wing
      linings were also much more yellow than salmon colored. This probably
      explains the yellow-shafted tail feather I found up in this same area
      last summer.

      Jeff Kozma
      Yakima

      --
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender,
      your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader.

      Jeff Kozma
      TFW Wildlife Biologist
      Yakama Nation
      509-865-5121 ext. 6343