Re: [BirdYak] Fwd: Ferruginous Hawk camera (Possible hatch?)

    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2007

      Between 5 and 5:30 pm today (May 11) the female Ferruginous Hawk has been on
      the rim of the nest for measurable time on two stretches. Appeared she was
      preening but also was scanning...looking for a food delivery? She has
      returned to the mid-nest both times but I'm wondering if a hatch has occurred. I
      assume the young chicks would be brooded for a while.

      I have been unable to see over the rim of the nest to see either eggs or
      young. It could also be that the warm weather takes some of the incubation duty
      less demanding. The screen messages states a mid-month hatch is expected.

      R. A. Repp
      Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone

    • Scott Downes
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2007
        From my experience with nesting raptors this seems like typical behavior of young about ready to hatch. I have often witnessed ferruginous (both adults) on the rim of the nest just a day or less before the young hatch. It is wonderful to be able to study the natural history of this species on a web cam, thanks to Scott Ray for bringing this to the groups attention!

        Scott Downes
        downess@...
        Yakima WA

        Message 3 of 3 , May 11, 2007
          I think I first saw reference to the Hawk Cam in a post to Tweeters from
          Dawn Bailey in March. Giving credit where credit is due.

          Scott R a y

          On 5/11/07, Scott Downes <downess@...> wrote:

          > From my experience with nesting raptors this seems like typical behavior
          > of young about ready to hatch. I have often witnessed ferruginous (both
          > adults) on the rim of the nest just a day or less before the young hatch. It
          > is wonderful to be able to study the natural history of this species on a
          > web cam, thanks to Scott Ray for bringing this to the groups attention!
          >
          > Scott Downes
          > downess@... <downess%40charter.net>
          > Yakima WA

          Aflac District Coordinator