Wilson's Phalaropes

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2007

      I took a trip out to Toppenish NWR on my lunch hour. Stopped along Old
      Goldendale Rd. where it meets up with Pumphouse Road. Highlights were a
      pair (male and female) of Wilson's Phalaropes in the flooded field along
      Old Goldendale Road. This is a new state and county bird for me. Also
      in this location, right next to the road, were a calling Virginia Rail
      and a Sora, a Common Yellowthroat that hopped into view, and numerous
      Black-necked Stilts in the flooded field with a pair of Blue-winged
      Teal. Needless to say, a great hour of birding in which I picked up
      numerous year birds.

      Complete list follows:

      Location: TNWR Goldendale Rd.
      Observation date: 5/1/07
      Number of species: 27

      Canada Goose 2
      Gadwall 2
      Mallard 12
      Blue-winged Teal 2
      Cinnamon Teal 10
      Northern Shoveler 1
      Green-winged Teal 10
      Ring-necked Pheasant 2
      California Quail 1
      Northern Harrier 1
      Virginia Rail 1
      Sora 1
      American Coot 4
      Killdeer 1
      Black-necked Stilt 9
      Wilson's Snipe 3
      Wilson's Phalarope 2
      Black-billed Magpie 1
      Bank Swallow 10
      Barn Swallow 1
      Common Yellowthroat 2
      Savannah Sparrow 4
      Song Sparrow 2
      Red-winged Blackbird 25
      Western Meadowlark 1
      Yellow-headed Blackbird 10
      Brewer's Blackbird 1

      This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://www.ebird.org)

      Jeff Kozma
      Yakima

      --
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender,
      your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader.

      Jeff Kozma
      TFW Wildlife Biologist
      Yakama Nation
      509-865-5121 ext. 6343

      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2007
        Yo Jeff,

        Way to eBird. The integrity of the data base of this easy to use bird
        sighting reporting system inches forward with your contribution. eBird appears to
        be on its way to becoming one of the most valuable large-scale data sets on
        bird distribution and abundance in the world.

        Reporting is easy and it is fun to review the results...personal, county,
        state, international.

        I have been in the TNWR neighborhood twice recently and trolled Old
        Goldendale Road in hopes of turning up Wilson's and Red-necked Phalarope with no
        luck. Envy drips as I review your list.

        Portions of this email (that make sense) were clipped from the eBird site.

        Hoping that all Yakkers get out and bird; and then they should eBird!

        R. A. Repp
        Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone