Yard Birds

  • CMCYAKIMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 9 6:35 AM
      Thursday eveing I watch as four turkey vulture quickly glided their way across the sky and out of sight without one wing flap. Saturday afternoon as I stood at my kitchen window a pair of doves flew into the yard to join the dozen already on the ground. But there was something about these two that did not seem quite ordinary. They appears larger and upon close inspection with the binoculars they sported a black ring at the back of their neck and very dark grey primaries. The Eurasian collared doves were an attractive addition to my yard list. I am seeing more and more white crowns popping about in the yard. And, my song sparrow population has grown to five.

      Bev
      North of Selah
    • David H Walker
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2007
        I had a record 47 California Quail at the feeders this afternoon and at
        least that many House Sparrows. I am not seeing many of the birds reported
        in the Yakima area however.

        David at Crawford Park in Prosser

      • CMCYAKIMA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 2, 2008
          December 1st start out like March 1st with the sighting of two male robins in amongst a flock of 11 cedar waxwings.
          The waxwings have been regular visitors over the last several weeks working on the Mountain Ash berries, bathing in the "creek" and then spending a considerable amount of time time preening.? Was quite surprised to find the two robin in the middle of the preening flock.

          Also, added a common Washington bird to my yard list this weekend.? Two red breasted nuthatches were caught at the "creek" getting a drink of water.

          I have had a juvenile sharpie?and/or?a female kestrel working the feeding area on a daily basis.? The number of sparrows has dropped to an all time low of 8 on Sunday.??The gold finch numbers have remained constant at around 18-20.? However, the house finch numbers peaked at 54 Sunday.? It has been interesting to watch the difference in the evasive maneuvers of the two species when a predator arrives.? The house sparrows flock to the nearest and tallest tree to "watch" the predator.? As soon as the predator flies off, the finches return.? Sparrows on the other hand dive for the nearest and thickest bush in my yard?which is usually one of the several large plantings of Oregon grape.
          There they sit in a? quiet but nervous twitter.? One movement is all it takes for the sharpie to dive into the bush flushing the birds.? Which seems to set off a chain reaction of all the birds in the bushes fleeing the area in little spurts.? This is the moment of opportunity!? I seldom note house finch kills and one wonders if the native species has the smarter strategy in dealing with their "ancient" enemy. (Oh, by the way, when the predators arrive the gold finches just back their bags and?leave.)

          Bev
          North of Selah

        • Sturnella@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , May 6, 2011
            Hi Yakkers

            Here is my yard list for yesterday ( May 5 ) and today. My total for the
            2 days is 54 species. Birdathon tomorrow should be great!

            Mallard 3
            California Quail 20
            Great Blue Heron 1
            Bald Eagle 2
            Northern Harrier 1
            Swainson's Hawk 2
            Red-tailed Hawk 12
            American Kestrel 4
            Prairie Falcon 1
            Killdeer 6
            Rock Pigeon 5
            Eurasian Collared-Dove 4
            Barn Owl 4
            Great Horned Owl 4
            Vaux's Swift 2
            Rufous Hummingbird 1
            Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 6
            Kingfisher 1
            Hammond's Flycatcher 1
            Western Kingbird 2
            Warbling Vireo 1
            Black-billed Magpie 6
            Common Raven 40
            Horned Lark 4
            Northern Rough-winged Swallow 5
            Violet-green Swallow 35
            Barn Swallow 6
            Cliff Swallow 15
            Golden-crowned Kinglet 2
            Ruby-crowned Kinglet 3
            American Robin 30
            Varied Thrush 1
            European Starling 50
            Orange-crowned Warbler 4
            Nashville Warbler 3
            Yellow Warbler 4
            Yellow-rumped Warbler 50
            Townsend's Warbler 2
            Spotted Towhee 1
            Fox Sparrow 1
            Song Sparrow 2
            White-crowned Sparrow 5
            Golden-crowned Sparrow 8
            Dark-eyed Junco 1
            Western Tanager 2
            Lazuli Bunting 1
            Red-winged Blackbird 10
            Western Meadowlark 3
            Brewer's Blackbird 16
            Brown-headed Cowbird 4
            N. Oriole 1
            House Finch 20
            American Goldfinch 12
            House Sparrow 70

            Debie Brown
            Konnowac Pass
            Moxee, WA
            sturnella@...

          • Scott Downes
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011
              Spent a little time this evening birding around the yard. Of note besides our remaining immature male Anna's hummingbird was 2 slate-colored junco (1 male, 1 female). I noticed the male a couple of days ago but this is the first time I've noticed two this fall. The pacific wren has been here off and on for about a week now. I copied in the full list from my 30 minutes below.

              My Yard, Yakima, US-WA
              Oct 16, 2011 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM
              Protocol: Stationary
              21 species

              California Quail 3
              Eurasian Collared-Dove 5
              Mourning Dove 4
              Anna's Hummingbird 1
              Northern Flicker 1
              Western Scrub-Jay 2
              Black-billed Magpie 2
              American Crow 5
              Common Raven 1
              Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
              Pacific Wren 1
              Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
              American Robin 6
              Cedar Waxwing 6
              Yellow-rumped Warbler 7
              Spotted Towhee 1
              Song Sparrow 1
              Dark-eyed Junco 25 2 were slate-colored subspecies; 1 male, 1 female
              House Finch 6
              American Goldfinch 4
              House Sparrow 10

              Scott Downes
              downess@...
              Yakima WA

            • moonax52
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 10, 2015

                I had a Red-breasted Nuthatch in the birdbath today.

                The Downys only fledged one young one, and the Swainson babies are starting to call a bit, so now you have to watch your head out in the open!

                Phyllis, East Grandview

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 11, 2015
                  Phyllis and Yakkers,

                  There was a Red-breasted Nuthatch in our yard conifers (pines and firs) Wednesday 8 July.