Wood Duck

  • David Walker
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
      I had two (2) pair of Wood Ducks in my yard Maple tree this morning. They seemed to be scoping out a hole in the tree. Last year we had a Barn Owl family in that hole. We were counting on the Barn Owls again this year but the Wood Ducks would be acceptable too.

      I counted 26 American Widgeon and there are less of them every day. The highest count that I had this year was 242 which is way down from prior years. The highest count ever was over 700. Some of the reason may be that the park grass was cut later this past fall so there was less feed than usual. We shall see what next year brings.

      David Walker
      Prosser WA

    • Jim Pinnell
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 2012
        The European Widgeon was in plain sight of the road grazing on the grass at Randle park yesterday. Mixed in on the ice with the motley collection of Mallard hybrids was a spectacular male Wood Duck, an interesting addition to the varied Mallards.