toot toot toot woooo woooo

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2007
      Last night for the first time in 3 years I heard a screech owl tooting in my yard (along 32nd in Yakima). Then, later in the evening, a single Great horned owl calling from the top of a neighbor's tree.

      There is a red tail possibly nesting in the Tahoma cemetery, and a pair of GHOs somewhere near there too.

      A few weeks ago, someone brought in an injured juvenile goshawk (?, or a very large juvenile Cooper's) to WDFW where I work. The person wanted to transfer the bird to another box, so we gently opened the box preparing to try and put a towel over the bird and make the move. It jumped onto the edge of the box, very fast, and when one of my colleagues moved his hand sort of near the bird, it moved absolutely lightning fast, and put two talons through his little finger. OUCH. For just a moment, the hawk hung upside down, then let go, and scurried across the floor in semi-flight (a broken wing I think). I made the capture with the intended towel, avoided the talons, and the hawk went to the rehabber.... not sure of it's fate.
      I thanked my friend for "helping".

      Ken