Re: RBSA at Tahoma Cemetery

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2007
      Well, the bird at the Tahoma Cemetery does have a touch more black
      around the eye and a little patch of black toward the back of the head
      (nape), but the bird in Randall park also has black extending up the
      back of the neck toward the nape. So, in that respect they could both
      be hybrids since a Red-breasted in my field guides shows a completely
      red head all the way down the back of the neck to the top of the back.
      This could be entirely possible due to the incidence of Red-breasteds
      breeding with Red-napeds that I have observed in the Ahtanum. Maybe
      these birds or their offspring move elevationally in winter to Yakima?
      Interesting theory, anyway.

      Jeff Kozma