Re: [BirdYak] Saturday's Audubon Field Trip

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2001
      Chirp and rats,

      My last posting was a major foul up. Some scratch notes I tossed down and
      then tried to delete ended up getting sent. The posting I wanted to send
      evidently encountered a glitch in the process of spell check and ended up who
      knows where. I guess you don't mess with spell check. Sorry for the Junk I
      tossed into your lap. The story probably wasn't much better anyway.

      Rich
    • AJBIRDS@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 17, 2001
        Hi, Rich and Saturday Audubon Birders,

        I just read your great review of our Saturday trip......
        When I got home, I decided to do a little research into the mystery bird, i.e. the
        Swainson's Hawk, that we all agreed was probably a stretch of an I.D., since they
        should have been long gone.....I try to be suspicious when I think I''ve seen something that shouldn't be there!
        Look at Sibley's juvenile Northern Harrier, in flight.....I've never seen one that high up in flight before.....The coloring on the belly and underside was similar to our bird.  The size difference between our bird and the Red Tailed Hawks buzzing it  is about right.
        Since that is a more logical choice, I think that is what we saw....Drat!

        Joyce Lucas
        Yakima
        ajbirds@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 18, 2001

          With the Yakima Herald giving the Saturday trip an "official" 50 species
          tally in their Outdoors section, we now have a dilemma. As Joyce has ruled
          out our possible Swainson's Hawk, we need to come with another bird or face
          public humiliation.

          As I see it, we have two choices. Saturday's participants (I know Larry &
          Kerry are Yakkers) could review my first ugly posting with the species list
          to come up with a possible omission. Likely misses:

          Gadwall
          Common Merganser
          Ring-necked Pheasant - did a hunter at least hear one call
          Cedar Waxwing
          Orange-crowned Warbler
          Fox Sparrow
          Spotted Towhee

          The other choice would be to deputize Ellen as an official part of the group
          and claim her White-throated Sparrow at the arboretum. After all, we did
          talk with her and we were on the Greenway.

          We need a little help here. I don't want to have to forfeit my Audubon
          membership card. : )

          Later
          Rich

          As I like to think of myself as a tongue in cheek poster, have I now put my
          foot in my mouth?
        • AJBIRDS@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 18, 2001
            Sorry about that!  How about adding the rare "carp" birds that we saw at the freeway ponds?  They are probably related to dippers.......

            Joyce Lucas
            Yakima, Wa.
            ajbirds@...
          • Kerry Turley
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 18, 2001
              Rich,
              I had a Spotted Towhee at the refuge, but you all were eating lunch and I
              guess you didn't hear me (it was during the stolen Quince discussion) :-).
              Kerry

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 19, 2001

                Dear Kerry & all,

                Once again Mr. Turley comes through in the clutch. First he saves the field
                trip and now he validates our list with the towhee. The Herald's record
                remains perfect and I get to keep my Audubon membership. Any chance we could
                get him a uniform and on a plane to New York in time for the Mariners' game
                tomorrow?

                Later