Re: [BirdYak] 2nd Red-breasted Sapsucker in Yakima

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007

      Followed up on Denny's report of a Red-breasted Sapsucker at Tahoma Cemetery
      this morning.

      I keyed on the west end of the conifers lining the east entrance of the
      cemetery. After carefully examining the third tree on the south side without any
      luck. I started towards tree number four. I hadn't taken two steps before
      I heard soft tapping.

      Those familiar with my hearing (or lack thereof), know if I were standing
      next to a jackhammer running at full throttle on resonate concrete, I would rate
      the noise as approaching moderate.

      Sensing that I must be close to the bird, I eased forward careful not to
      crunch on any ice or snow. My eyes furtively searched nine to ten feet up the
      trunk. When I reached the bare grass underneath the tree's drip line, the
      tapping was quite noticeable. At that point, I glanced at the lower trunk and
      there at shoulder height was the sapsucker, a mere ten feet away. Ya gotta
      love a bird that makes you feel foolish for employing your highest level of
      stealth and skill to locate the elephant in the bathroom.

      I went on to examine all the trees on both sides of the road. The two
      western most trees on either side of the road bear a few exploratory sap wells
      about ten feet up. Tree number three on the south side is tattooed in a fashion
      that would draw raves from the operators of Jim & Jenni's Tattoo Emporium.
      The wells start at the base of the tree about ten inches from the ground.
      Between there and the level where the branches begin, the rows of holes lead
      one to believe the tree was got in machine gun crossfire between Elliot Ness
      and the likes of Al Capone and Machine Gun Kelly.

      None of the other trees seem to be marked. The sap has been there awhile
      and appears that it may stick around to pose for anyone who wishes to see it.

      Not a bad year list pickup for Jan 1. Just a slight detour from my run to
      Safeway, where, by the way, one can twitch a jar of Skippy Peanut Butter for
      99 cents with a coupon.

      PS The Red-breasted makes my peanut butter and jelly sandwich a bit tastier
      today.

    • John J. Hebert
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
        For those of us newly arrived in Yakima County (I have only been here 6
        years) how does one find the Tahoma Cemetery?

        Thanks,

        John Hebert

      • John J. Hebert
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
          The Sparrow was front and center for quite some time at the Sparrow Patch
          South (south end of the Greenway) today. I threw some seed and left a bag of
          seed on the stump on the back side of the patch. Feel free to throw some
          seed if you get down there.

          John Hebert

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
            Hi John and other newcomers,

            The Tahoma Cemetery lies between about 18th Ave. and 24th Ave. and
            midway between Washington Ave. and Nob Hill.

            To access it from 16th Ave: turn west on Tahoma Ave., which is the
            second street going west from 16th Ave. north of Washington. You
            enter the cemetery as you pass 18th Ave. The sapsucker is in the fir
            trees that line the entrance road after you pass 18th Ave and before
            you come to the first intersection of the cemetery roads.

            If you enter the cemetery from 24th Ave, you turn east off 24th Ave
            at the entrance that has the most impressive set of gates, which I
            think are the only ones open. There are three entrances for the
            cemetery; enter at the middle one. The Catholic cemetery on the
            north side of Tahoma doesn't count.

            The sapsucker seems to be staying at the west end of the fir trees
            that line the east entrance road. It is the only road in the
            cemetery that has fir trees on both sides of it, with each tree
            planted exactly across from the tree on the other side of the street.

            I hope this helps.

            (A Great Horned Owl is calling close to my house as I write this.)

            Denny

            * Denny Granstrand *
            * Yakima, WA *
            * dgranstrand@... *
            * Denny's bird photos can be seen online at: *
            http://granstrand.net/gallery/