Yakima Greenway

  • Scott Downes
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2006
      Took a walk on the greenway up to the sparrow patch near the popoff trail
      this morning, about 10:30. Almost nothing at the sparrow patch itself,
      however 150 yards south of the patch was a buzz of activity. I first stopped
      when alerted to a bunch of Hermit Thrushes, I counted 3 in one bush and
      estimated 7 total at this spot among the many robins. While watching this
      flock an immature Goshawk decided to fly in and perch in the cottonwood
      above the trail. By size it appeared to be a male, the whitish speckling on
      the back and the uneven tail bands were very prevalent as it sat with its
      back to me.
      Also at this spot was 2 myrtle Yellow-rumped Warblers among the 6-7
      Audubon's race. 3 Downy Woodpecker and > 100 American robins.

      Walking back to the parking lot I heard 2 other hermit thrushes closer to
      the parking lot, bringing the total up to 9. A nice little bit of birding
      among the sprinkles this morning.

      Scott Downes
      downess@...
      Yakima WA