Red-naped Sapsucker

  • Sturnella@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 17, 2006
      A friend of mine on E.Duffield Road, north of Moxee, watched a Red-naped
      Sapsucker in her trees. It stayed for a little bit checking out her bird
      houses,too. This was Monday about noon.
      Debie
      Brown
      Konnowac Pass
      Moxee, WA
      sturnella@...

    • JOHN Hebert
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2014
        Yes, yes kids I know it's a VERY early arrival.

        I hiked along the road to the Wenas campground and up above Mud Flats yesterday.

        At a very close distance I observed what I believe was a Red-naped. Below is

        my observation submitted to eBird:

        I agonized over this sighting due to the very early arrival date, but feel very confident of this sighting. I had observed a male Williamson's for some time the prior day. I am quite familiar with their field marks. The bird observed today was clearly a sapsucker and the only birds it could have been confused with would be a male Williamson's or a Red-breasted hybrid. The bird had yellow on it's chest and belly. It had a "crisp" color pattern (blacks, whites, reds) with none of the "wash" of a Red-breasted. It showed extensive red on the neck, a red cap, and red nape. The wings and back were observed as the bird flew down and away and show extensive white spots vs. the solid black back of a Williamson's.

        John Hebert

        Yakima, WA
      • kozma.jeff
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2015

          Today, on our route of the CBC in Yakima, we found a male Red-naped Sapsucker (not a Red-breasted x Red-naped hybrid) in Tahoma Cemetary. Enter from 16th Ave. and park at the office building on the left.  Walk the row of Norway spruce that runs along the road heading east.  The bird has numerous sapwells in the trees and is fairly easy to observe.  It is also relatively vocal.  There were also 2 Red-breasted Nuthatches harvesting and eating seeds from the Norway spruce cones.

          Jeff Kozma

          Yakima