Wenas Lake 25 Sept

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2006
      Chirp,

      I trekked through the Wenas Lake mud once again this afternoon. Following
      the creek down from the boat launch, I flushed a single American Pipit.
      Waiting to greet me at the lake's edge were two Greater Yellowlegs. Stumbled onto
      a bright Pectoral Sandpiper as I moved towards the resort side...eventually
      the mud yielded three of this species. Also picked up two Spotted Sandpipers
      (sans spots) before settling in on a group of 16 Long-billed Dowitchers
      stitching in time to save nine.

      As it appeared that the northwestern end had exhausted shorebird
      possibilities, I decided to clop along the northern bank in hopes of finding a plover or
      two towards the dam. Chances didn't look good as I had only two Killdeer on
      my list at that point. The good news - I did find several plovers. The bad
      news - none were golden, all 20 plus were Killdeer. The ugly news was that
      it was a long walk back across many rocks followed by much mud.

      I flushed up many small sparrows on the way back...the two that I had a good
      look at were Savannah Sparrows. Plus, one Golden-crowned Sparrow responded
      to the pish-fit I threw. And there were White-crowned Sparrows in the willow
      area by the boat ramp along with one Yellow-rumped Warbler. In the distance,
      a Meadowlark's song drifted down.

      Lots of waterfowl today. Eighty plus Canada Geese and over 400 assorted
      ducks. Most were Mallards but a good number (60-100) were Green-winged Teal.
      Probably two dozen Northern Shovelers, and at least four Northern
      Pintails...well, they had long necks, nice tails and resembled a Pintail's profile.

      Four Great Blue Herons and two Double-crested Cormorants closed my list out.
      Zippo for Swallows.