Re: [BirdYak] Grandview Sewage Treatment Plant today

  • tyler munson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
      also if you are very close and/or have a good scope, you will notice that drakes have a curled tail feather (the drake feather) also the voice of the male's is a soft whisper while the female's is a loud quack.

      Most of you probably already knew that, but since I haven't contributed anything to the site lately, I thought I should do something. I have had a lone cedar waxwing in the yard for the past 2 or 3 weeks -usually I see a small flock, but just one this time.

      Tyler

      Rich712@... wrote:

      In a message dated 8/29/2006 9:41:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      dgranstrand@... writes:

      The male Mallards have lost nearly all of their green heads
      as they molt into their eclipse plumage.

      Chirp,

      Eclipse plumage usually makes it difficult to distinguish males from females
      for most duck species. However with Mallards, according to Denny, the
      headless ones are the males.

      Sorry Denny, I temporarily lost my head.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2006
        One of my domestic mallards is a wild one that a gal found when he was just
        hatched , he was raised in the house with a dog as a partner . when the gal
        got married her husband said the duck goes so I ended up with him , poor thing
        , he doesn`t have a clue that he really is a duck . I did not know there are
        different types of domestic Mallards , the drake is slightly less colorful than
        wild ones , and the hens are much lighter bleached brown . One hen is a white
        Runner Duck .
        Diane
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010

          I stopped by the Grandview STP today. Lots of ducks in confusing
          eclipse plumage but not too many shorebirds.

          The highlight was an immature Semipalmated Plover, the first one seen
          in Yakima County this year.

          Location: Grandview STP
          Observation date: 9/1/10
          Number of species: 20

          Canada Goose 11
          Gadwall 65
          American Wigeon 15
          Mallard 240
          Blue-winged/Cinnamon Teal 85
          Northern Shoveler 30
          Green-winged Teal 30
          Great Blue Heron 2
          American Coot 15
          Semipalmated Plover 1
          Killdeer 12
          Spotted Sandpiper 1
          Greater Yellowlegs 1
          Western Sandpiper 15
          Least Sandpiper 12
          Black-billed Magpie 12
          Violet-green Swallow 35
          Barn Swallow 12
          European Starling 12
          Red-winged Blackbird 10
          House Sparrow 35

          This report was generated automatically by eBird

          Denny Granstrand
          Southwest of the Yakima Airport and beyond

          Denny Granstrand
          Yakima, WA
          dgranstrand AT gmail.com
          www.granstrand.net/gallery/