Re: [BirdYak] the difficulties of writing the Bird Alert

  • Deb Davis & Ken Bevis
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2001
      OK, I have been thinking all the birds I see are too common to be of
      interest. So here's my list.

      I just recently started feeding birds in the yard again. We have lots of
      house finches, a few juncos and goldfinches, and a towhee who shows up to
      scratch around on the ground. There are chickadees and nuthatches in the
      trees. I got a good look at a female ruby-crowned kinglet as it hopped
      around in the lilacs. I didn't know what it was till I looked it up.
      There is a flock of crows in our neighborhood. They come down to eat the
      filberts that are crushed in the driveway. We also have magpies that visit
      every year at this time, and flights of geese over the house every morning.
      I need to put some cut-outs on the windows to prevent birds crashing into
      the glass--

      Hiked at Chinook Pass on Saturday--the summer birds are definitely gone.
      There were robins, a varied thrush, ravens, gray jays, juncos.

      Thank you for writing the newspaper column. While not an avid birder
      myself, I do enjoy reading about what people see. I also like information
      about the habits of common birds, seasonal changes, and how to enhance the
      yard for birds.

      Deb

      ----------
      > From: Denny Granstrand <osprey@...>
      > To: birdyak@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [BirdYak] the difficulties of writing the Bird Alert
      > Date: Sunday, September 30, 2001 9:17 PM
      >
      > Hi Yakkers,
      >
      > I have been writing the Bird Alert for the Thursday Yakima
      Herald-Republic
      > for over a year. In that time I have missed one week, within three or
      four
      > weeks after it started, due to no birds to report. It takes me between
      one
      > and one and a half hours to put the thing together and write it.
      >
      > I need help. I don't have enough time to go birding every weekend to see
      > what birds are out there to fill the column. Andy has always been very
      good
      > about telling me about the birds he has seen since we talk regularly
      anyway.
      > But even with Andy and Ellen's sightings I frequently don't have enough
      > birds to write about. So every week I send a message to BirdYak asking
      for
      > bird sightings to write about.
      >
      > The idea of BirdYak is to share our sightings with the other subscribers.
      > am sure that many Yakkers are either out at least some time during the
      > weekend and finding birds or are noticing birds at their homes or as they
      > drive around town. I enoucrage all of you to get into the habit of
      sending
      > an e-mail to BirdYak telling about those sightings. That was why BirdYak
      > was started.
      >
      > BirdYak is also my number one source of information for the Bird Alert.
      > am hoping that all of you will get into the habit of sending your
      sightings
      > to BirdYak on a regular basis. Please don't think that your sightings
      are
      > not interesting. It is much easier for me to have too many birds to fit
      > into the Bird Alert than not enough.
      >
      > Also, please don't be offended if your birds don't make the newspaper.
      The

    • CMCYAKIMA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        Almost every home in my rural Selah neighborhood has a bald face wasp nest in
        the peak of the eaves. I had been hearing a flicker in the neighborhood off
        and and over the weekend. And while seeing a flicker is not at all unusual
        it was the first time I had ever seen one going from house to house feeding
        on all the high rise wasp's nest located directly over eaves vents where he
        could obtain a footing.

        Bev
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
          Chirp,

          Denny wrote, "Please don't think that your sightings are not interesting."
          WOW, did he open the door or what? Humbly, I jump in!

          I live in the vicinity of Eisenhower High School. This morning I had the
          first Dark-eyed Junco of the fall at my feeder. Probably a sign that I can
          put away my walking shorts and break out the long jeans. Also today, a
          Red-breasted Nuthatch was at the birdbath for a drink. He then flew to hang
          upside down to pluck a seed or two from one of the sunflowers that
          volunteered this year.

          Six to eight White-crowned Sparrows have been making regular morning and
          evening visits to the yard the past couple of weeks. In years past, it seems
          as their fall visits only spanned a couple of days. In the spring, they seem
          to appear about the time the juncos leave. This fall, will they depart with
          the arrival of the juncos?

          I've also had a couple of Song Sparrows this last week...another rather
          unusual bird for my yard. A Black-capped Chickadee has also been making
          sporadic appearances. My American Goldfinch population went up (and sadly,
          my thistle seed bill with it) after fledging season. I now have 8-10
          Goldfinch as opposed to the 4 who hung around most of the summer.

          House Finches continue to be the most populace bird in the yard. One with a
          deformed bill has been in and out the last week or so. The lower mandible is
          elongated, twice the normal size, down-turned and very through like. It
          resembles the spout on an old hand water pump. The upper mandible appears
          shorter than normal with a pronounced down thrust tip...falcon style. The
          first impression is that it has a long tongue hanging out. The bird feeds by
          tilting its head sideways to grab seeds close to the gape. Doesn't rate very
          high in the established pecking order as the others are quick to displace
          him.

          Magpies are also back in the neighborhood this fall making a lot of noise. I
          don't notice them in the summer. And the flocks of Starlings are moving
          about. I have a small dogwood tree that I keep hoping will bring in some
          Cedar Waxwings but it seems that every fall a flock of Starlings fly from
          tree to tree throughout the neighborhood, stripping everything of value.

          Friday, I was walking with my daughter on the Greenway, an activity she tries
          to keep in high gear. I did stop at Robertson's landing to struggle with a
          shorebird... a Lesser Yellowlegs. On the fly, we, not the birds, did see a
          couple Blue Herons and Belted Kingfishers. Also it appears that waterfowl
          are getting back into more recognizable breeding plumage. Had Wood Duck,
          Mallard and a female Common Merganser.

          I enjoy Denny's newspaper column, but I also like to compare feeder and yard
          postings on BirdYak with what is happening around my own home. I feel that
          the majority of the paper's readers are novice birders like myself and may
          well be interested in the activities and seasonal movements of birds the
          experts might feel are more mundane. Denny is pretty creative...if we feed
          him enough chaff, he'll come up with a cake. And as for BirdYak...would we
          better named BirdMum?

          Later
          Rich
        • Sherrel Hailstone
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
            I'll do my very small bit here. I live in the vicinity of 72nd and
            Washington Ave. We planted a lot of sunflowers in the spring and have been
            blessed with many goldfinches. They seem to love best hanging upside down
            and poking their heads into the nodding flowers. Alas, the sunflowers are
            about done and we are pulling them out, but saving the heads for winter
            feedings. Yesterday a pine siskin was perched inside a large sunflower head
            we have sitting on top of one of our feeders. It looked so content there.
            Since we live near lots of orchards, we have had lots of starlings about and
            even though I know they are pests, I love to hear them chattering in the
            trees like they are having a party. Earlier at our sunflowers we had a
            number of hummingbirds. I couldn't get them to come to our feeder, but they
            liked my bee balm, scabiosa and butterfly bush - buzzing me when I got too
            close.

            Sherrel
            I have been writing the Bird Alert for the Thursday Yakima Herald-Republic
            for over a year. In that time I have missed one week, within three or four
            weeks after it started, due to no birds to report. It takes me between one
            and one and a half hours to put the thing together and write it.

            I need help. I don't have enough time to go birding every weekend to see
            what birds are out there to fill the column. Andy has always been very good
            about telling me about the birds he has seen since we talk regularly anyway.
            But even with Andy and Ellen's sightings I frequently don't have enough
            birds to write about. So every week I send a message to BirdYak asking for
            bird sightings to write about.

            The idea of BirdYak is to share our sightings with the other subscribers. I
            am sure that many Yakkers are either out at least some time during the
            weekend and finding birds or are noticing birds at their homes or as they
            drive around town. I enoucrage all of you to get into the habit of sending
            an e-mail to BirdYak telling about those sightings. That was why BirdYak
            was started.

            BirdYak is also my number one source of information for the Bird Alert. I