the difficulties of writing the Bird Alert

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2001
      Hi Yakkers,

      I have been writing the Bird Alert for the Thursday Yakima Herald-Republic
      for over a year. In that time I have missed one week, within three or four
      weeks after it started, due to no birds to report. It takes me between one
      and one and a half hours to put the thing together and write it.

      I need help. I don't have enough time to go birding every weekend to see
      what birds are out there to fill the column. Andy has always been very good
      about telling me about the birds he has seen since we talk regularly anyway.
      But even with Andy and Ellen's sightings I frequently don't have enough
      birds to write about. So every week I send a message to BirdYak asking for
      bird sightings to write about.

      The idea of BirdYak is to share our sightings with the other subscribers. I
      am sure that many Yakkers are either out at least some time during the
      weekend and finding birds or are noticing birds at their homes or as they
      drive around town. I enoucrage all of you to get into the habit of sending
      an e-mail to BirdYak telling about those sightings. That was why BirdYak
      was started.

      BirdYak is also my number one source of information for the Bird Alert. I
      am hoping that all of you will get into the habit of sending your sightings
      to BirdYak on a regular basis. Please don't think that your sightings are
      not interesting. It is much easier for me to have too many birds to fit
      into the Bird Alert than not enough.

      Also, please don't be offended if your birds don't make the newspaper. The
      editor to whom I send the Bird Alert frequently has to cut it down to fit
      the space he has available. I send as much as I can every week in an
      attempt to increase the amount of bird news in a subtle way and frequently
      find that several paragraphs have been cut.

      If any of you are a little self-conscious about sending your sightings to
      BirdYak, it is just fine if you send them straight to me.

      Thank you for listening and keep those e-mails coming,

      Denny
      * * * * * * * * * * *
      * Denny Granstrand *
      * Yakima, WA *
      * osprey@... *
      * * * * * * * * * * *
    • Deb Davis & Ken Bevis
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2001
        OK, I have been thinking all the birds I see are too common to be of
        interest. So here's my list.

        I just recently started feeding birds in the yard again. We have lots of
        house finches, a few juncos and goldfinches, and a towhee who shows up to
        scratch around on the ground. There are chickadees and nuthatches in the
        trees. I got a good look at a female ruby-crowned kinglet as it hopped
        around in the lilacs. I didn't know what it was till I looked it up.
        There is a flock of crows in our neighborhood. They come down to eat the
        filberts that are crushed in the driveway. We also have magpies that visit
        every year at this time, and flights of geese over the house every morning.
        I need to put some cut-outs on the windows to prevent birds crashing into
        the glass--

        Hiked at Chinook Pass on Saturday--the summer birds are definitely gone.
        There were robins, a varied thrush, ravens, gray jays, juncos.

        Thank you for writing the newspaper column. While not an avid birder
        myself, I do enjoy reading about what people see. I also like information
        about the habits of common birds, seasonal changes, and how to enhance the
        yard for birds.

        Deb

        ----------

      • CMCYAKIMA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
          Almost every home in my rural Selah neighborhood has a bald face wasp nest in
          the peak of the eaves. I had been hearing a flicker in the neighborhood off
          and and over the weekend. And while seeing a flicker is not at all unusual
          it was the first time I had ever seen one going from house to house feeding
          on all the high rise wasp's nest located directly over eaves vents where he
          could obtain a footing.

          Bev
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
            Chirp,

            Denny wrote, "Please don't think that your sightings are not interesting."
            WOW, did he open the door or what? Humbly, I jump in!

            I live in the vicinity of Eisenhower High School. This morning I had the
            first Dark-eyed Junco of the fall at my feeder. Probably a sign that I can
            put away my walking shorts and break out the long jeans. Also today, a
            Red-breasted Nuthatch was at the birdbath for a drink. He then flew to hang
            upside down to pluck a seed or two from one of the sunflowers that
            volunteered this year.

            Six to eight White-crowned Sparrows have been making regular morning and
            evening visits to the yard the past couple of weeks. In years past, it seems
            as their fall visits only spanned a couple of days. In the spring, they seem
            to appear about the time the juncos leave. This fall, will they depart with
            the arrival of the juncos?

            I've also had a couple of Song Sparrows this last week...another rather
            unusual bird for my yard. A Black-capped Chickadee has also been making
            sporadic appearances. My American Goldfinch population went up (and sadly,
            my thistle seed bill with it) after fledging season. I now have 8-10
            Goldfinch as opposed to the 4 who hung around most of the summer.

            House Finches continue to be the most populace bird in the yard. One with a
            deformed bill has been in and out the last week or so. The lower mandible is
            elongated, twice the normal size, down-turned and very through like. It
            resembles the spout on an old hand water pump. The upper mandible appears
            shorter than normal with a pronounced down thrust tip...falcon style. The
            first impression is that it has a long tongue hanging out. The bird feeds by
            tilting its head sideways to grab seeds close to the gape. Doesn't rate very
            high in the established pecking order as the others are quick to displace
            him.

            Magpies are also back in the neighborhood this fall making a lot of noise. I
            don't notice them in the summer. And the flocks of Starlings are moving
            about. I have a small dogwood tree that I keep hoping will bring in some
            Cedar Waxwings but it seems that every fall a flock of Starlings fly from
            tree to tree throughout the neighborhood, stripping everything of value.

            Friday, I was walking with my daughter on the Greenway, an activity she tries
            to keep in high gear. I did stop at Robertson's landing to struggle with a
            shorebird... a Lesser Yellowlegs. On the fly, we, not the birds, did see a
            couple Blue Herons and Belted Kingfishers. Also it appears that waterfowl
            are getting back into more recognizable breeding plumage. Had Wood Duck,
            Mallard and a female Common Merganser.

            I enjoy Denny's newspaper column, but I also like to compare feeder and yard
            postings on BirdYak with what is happening around my own home. I feel that
            the majority of the paper's readers are novice birders like myself and may
            well be interested in the activities and seasonal movements of birds the
            experts might feel are more mundane. Denny is pretty creative...if we feed
            him enough chaff, he'll come up with a cake. And as for BirdYak...would we
            better named BirdMum?

            Later
            Rich
          • Sherrel Hailstone
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
              I'll do my very small bit here. I live in the vicinity of 72nd and
              Washington Ave. We planted a lot of sunflowers in the spring and have been
              blessed with many goldfinches. They seem to love best hanging upside down
              and poking their heads into the nodding flowers. Alas, the sunflowers are
              about done and we are pulling them out, but saving the heads for winter
              feedings. Yesterday a pine siskin was perched inside a large sunflower head
              we have sitting on top of one of our feeders. It looked so content there.
              Since we live near lots of orchards, we have had lots of starlings about and
              even though I know they are pests, I love to hear them chattering in the
              trees like they are having a party. Earlier at our sunflowers we had a
              number of hummingbirds. I couldn't get them to come to our feeder, but they
              liked my bee balm, scabiosa and butterfly bush - buzzing me when I got too
              close.

              Sherrel