Vredenburgh Bluebird Trail Update

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2006

      The results are in from last week's monitoring on the Vredenburgh Bluebird
      Trail.

      A total of 77 bluebirds fledged last week. Also, 52 eggs were in the boxes
      as well as 123 nestlings.

      For the year to date fledged totals are:

      Western - 100
      Mountain - 42
      Mt. Chickadee - 6
      White-breasted Nuthatch - 5
      House Finch - 5

      The House Finches were a new species to my six-to-eight years experience on
      the trail. A second clutch of Mountain Chickadees has just hatched out.
      House Wrens have put in their two sticks (or more) worth of nesting efforts in a
      total of 14 boxes. And House Sparrows have impacted three boxes at the
      northern end of the trail...close to a ranch house, of course.

      The bluebirds seemed to start nesting a week to ten days behind their normal
      schedule this year. The next week or so should give us an indication if
      many of the bluebirds will be investing in second clutches this year.

      It also appears that the wet spring has given life to a stronger run of
      wildflowers and vegetation. Lots of stuff blooming on the weekend but it may be
      fried by now. Grasses are waist high surrounding some of the box
      locations...much higher than last year.

      This year marks the 25th anniversary of the trail's founding. The trail is
      located at the end of the pavement on North Wenas Road (six miles beyond
      Wenas Lake) and stretches 14 miles along the gravel/dirt road to the intersection
      of Durr and Umtanum Roads above Ellensburg.

      As a side note, I also monitor boxes in Hardy Canyon and along the paved
      portion of North Wenas Road between Hardy Canyon and Audubon Road. Bluebird
      action in those boxes is running about one-third of the average of the past
      several years. Tree Swallows have claimed far more than their normal average of
      nest boxes along that trail.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2006

        As our monitors ready to head out to record this week's activity on the
        Vredenburgh Bluebird Trail, I am happy to report that 81 bluebirds fledged from
        the boxes last week. A total of 65 bluebird eggs and 43 nestlings were noted
        in the boxes also.

        The year to date fledged totals are:

        Western - 166
        Mountain - 57
        Mt. Chickadee - 6
        White-breasted Nuthatch - 5
        House Finch - 5

        One Tree Swallow and one Mountain Chickadee were enjoying the Trail's
        accommodations. Two boxes at the far end of the Trail have House Sparrows and a
        total of 13 boxes have drawn the interest of House Wrens.

        This week's results should indicate if the year's second nest attempts will
        exceed prior years' efforts. At present, second nests are running about
        average.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 29, 2007

          Finished up a quick tally from the Washington Audubon Campers' monitoring
          efforts on the Vredenburgh Bluebird Trail.

          To date, 43 bluebirds have fledged from the boxes. Sixteen females were
          observed on nests; 140 eggs and 118 nestlings were visible. For variety, one
          Mountain Chickadee and one White-breasted Nuthatch are occupying nest boxes.
          Also, a couple of Tree Swallows and twenty-odd House Wrens.

          The next few weeks should feature lots of activity. If you wish to see
          bluebirds, the trail begins at the end of the pavement on North Wenas Road (eight
          miles past Wenas Lake) and ends at 14 miles later at the intersection with
          Durr Road.

          During the Washington Audubon Campout at the Hazel Wolf Memorial Campground
          (AKA Wenas Campground, Boise Cascade Campground, or Cascadia Campground) 116
          species (by my unofficial quick count from the tally sheet posted Monday
          morning) were noted in the official survey area.

          An oddity that jumped out at me, was a report of a Rough-legged Hawk. I
          thought those guys were long gone. Least Flycatcher and Red-eyed Vireo were
          also notched. Best of all, a few Bushtits were seen once again in Hardy Canyon
          including an apparent juvenile being fed by adults. The bird banding crew
          also noted at least two Bushtit nests that appeared to have been raided by
          predators at Hardy.

          Birding the Blue,
          R. A. Repp
          Rich the Bluebird Snitch