Snow Mountain Ranch near Tieton

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2006
      SNOW MOUNTAIN RANCH

      I participated in a "symposium" out on Snow Mountain Ranch. This event was
      for educators in the Highland School District and was sponsored by Cowiche
      Canyon Conservancy. Take Cowiche Mill Rd west from Summitview to the parking
      area on left (beyond 1st "sign "The Snow Mountain Ranch.").

      Birds were active everywhere; springs exuberance is still very much in
      evidence!

      In weedy pasture areas we observed Bank and Cliff Swallows, and flocks of
      European Starlings (mostly juveniles), and a few Red-winged Blackbirds.
      Overhead we saw a pair of Red-tailed Hawks, several Common Nighthawks, and
      flyover Common Ravens and American Goldfinches.

      In the lush riparian habitats, we found the highest diversity of birds. We
      heard more species than we saw. We tallied Northern Flicker, Western
      Wood-Pewee, House Wrens, American Robins, Cedar Waxwings, Warbling Vireos,
      Yellow Warblers, Yellow-breasted Chat (near west boundary, in thickets of
      roses under Garry Oaks), Western Tanager, Black-headed Grosbeak, Song
      Sparrow, Bullock's Oriole, House Finch, and Evening Grosbeaks.

      We checked brushy patches and found Ash-throated Flycatcher (along the west
      boundary fence) besides the more numerous California Quails, Black-billed
      Magpies, Lazuli Buntings, Spotted Towhees, and Western Meadowlarks.