Sandhill Cranes

  • mryakima
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 29, 2006
      On my walk this morning at about 9am, I again heard the unmistakable
      sound Sand Hill Cranes. Nine birds were laboring to gain altitude
      about 2000 feet east of my property where they must have spent the
      night. As they circled and found a thermal, I was able to snap a few
      pictures. They flew north across Yakima Ridge and out of sight.

      Scott R a y
      East end of Mieras Road
      Yakima, WA
    • JOHN HEBERT
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2008
        I was very luck about 5:30 this PM to
        hear a flock of 30 Sandhill Cranes fly
        over my house near the Yakima airport.
        My obsessive grass mowing neighbors
        were not out so I was able to hear the
        crane's faint call.

        The birds were flying generally South to
        North. They likely came over Ahtanum
        Ridge, flew over the Airport, then continued
        North over Yakima.

        John Hebert

      • Jeff Kozma
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 14, 2009
          On my way to work today I took a detour to look for the Greater
          white-fronted Geese that Andy found along Lateral C near Toppenish
          Creek. I dipped on the geese but did manage to find 5 Sandhill Cranes
          feeding on the east side of Lateral C north of Toppenish Creek. The
          birds were near the trees bordering the creek in an opening in the
          field. Also saw three Greater Yellowlegs on the west side of Lateral C
          and a few Northern Rough-winged Swallows among hundreds of Cliff, Tree,
          and Violet--green Swallows. Along Old Goldendale Road, I saw my first
          Barn Swallow of the year and also saw a pair of Ring-necked Ducks.

          Also, I can't find an American Avocet to save my life. I still haven't
          seen one in WA yet. Can anyone tell me where to reliably see one
          between Yakima and Toppenish?

          Thanks.

          Jeff Kozma

          Yakima

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 14, 2009
            , jeffk@... writes:

            Can anyone tell me where to reliably see one (American Avocet)
            between Yakima and Toppenish?

            Jeff,

            You might have to go the extra mile...make that 8. Kerry has found
            Avocets in the spring consistently just out side of Granger. Take
            I-82 Exit 58 and cross under the interstate. Turn east on the Yakima
            Valley Highway and look for high voltage power lines crossing the
            road. Around .4 of a mile east of Liberty Road, watch for the very
            non de script farm pond...cattle nearby. For some reason both Stilt
            and Avocet favor this wide open scoop in a pasture...has a small
            island.

            Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone

            web. Get the Radio Toolbar!
            (http://toolbar.aol.com/aolradio/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00000002)

          • Scott R a y
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 12, 2011
              There were 11 Sandhills flying over Mieras Rd and St Hilaire on March 4.

              Sent from my Galaxy S

            • JOHN Hebert
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 20, 2014
                I encountered three flocks, each of 15+ birds, in the corn stubble

                across Marion Drain from the Zimmerman property (East of Lateral 'A')

                this PM.

                Enjoy,

                John Hebert