Toppenish Wildlife Refuge

  • Kerry Turley
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 10, 2001
      Yakkers,
      Stopped Sunday morning at the refuge headquarters looking for passerines and was surprised to see that there is water in front of the observation platform. It had a good amount of waterfowl dropping in (still pretty drab in their eclipse plumage) and a few killdeer. All told I had 22 species, the highlight was a kettle of 27 Turkey Vultures riding the thermals including  a good view of 5 on the ground on the far side of the pond in front of the platform. In the excitement I left my "National Geographic Field Guide" at the platform, it was gone when I went back for it - hopefully it will get someone interested in birding, I probably needed the new addition anyway.

      Had a good day on the WOS field trip (WallaWalla and Franklin Counties) led by Mike and Merrylynn Denny on Saturday, lots of surprises, the results of that trip will be on the WOS website in the future.

      Kerry Turley
      304 E. Woodin Rd.
      Sunnyside, WA 98944
    • Kerry Turley
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2002
        Yakkers,

        It was a beautiful day at the refuge today. When I arrived there was a
        healthy Black-tailed Buck , with velvet covered forked horns, walking
        through the yard of the refuge. The first place I went was the small pond
        across the bridge and north of the refuge HQ. This pond is drying fast and
        has lots of mud showing, which is attracting some early migrating
        shorebirds.

        As the water decreases it is also concentrating the birds that depend on it.
        Today it looked like family day at the refuge, with both VIRGINIA RAILS and
        SORAS feeding in the open along with their young who were darting in and out
        of the cattails and tules. Young SPOTTED SANDPIPERS were stealthely stalking
        insects with their heads held low and their tails held high they would spear
        an insect the instant it would take flight, it reminded me of the foraging
        methods of a Little Blue Heron, it was actually quite entertaining.

        Another pleasant surprise was to have an AMERICAN PIPIT in with a flock of
        WESTERN SANDPIPERS, not a common bird for TWR in the summer.

        Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

        Great Blue Heron [1]
        Turkey Vulture [2]
        American Wigeon [3]
        Mallard
        Northern Shoveler
        Northern Harrier
        Red-tailed Hawk
        American Kestrel
        Ring-necked Pheasant
        California Quail
        Virginia Rail [4]
        Sora [5]
        American Coot
        Killdeer
        Greater Yellowlegs [6]
        Spotted Sandpiper [7]
        Western Sandpiper [8]
        Rock Dove
        Mourning Dove
        Willow Flycatcher [9]
        Eastern Kingbird
        Black-billed Magpie
        American Crow
        Tree Swallow
        Barn Swallow
        American Robin
        Gray Catbird
        European Starling
        American Pipit [10]
        Song Sparrow
        Red-winged Blackbird
        American Goldfinch
        House Sparrow

        Footnotes:

        [1] only 1, quite a drop from a week ago
        [2] 1 soaring over the refuge and one feeding on a rodkilled cat on
        Pumphouse Rd.
        [3] just starting to get it's color back (eclipse plummage drives me
        nuts!).
        [4] 2 adults and 2 young
        [5] 1 adult and 2 young
        [6] 1 ea
        [7] 1 adult with 4 young
        [8] 14 ea.
        [9] fitz-bew
        [10] 1 ea. feeding in the mud with the shorebirds

        Total number of species seen: 33

        Kerry Turley
        304 E. Woodin Rd.
        Sunnyside, WA 98944
      • Kerry Turley
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 24, 2002
          Date: November 24, 2002
          Location: Toppenish National Wildlife Refuge, Yakima County, Washington

          I made my weekly tour of the Toppenish Wildlife Refuge today. Nothing to get
          excited about as the hunting pressure is increasing with the water. I was
          surprised at the lack of Green-winged Teal and American Widgeons, which are
          usually quite abundant. The resident Great-horned Owls were roosting side by
          side whereas they are usually seperated, could be early stages of courtship,
          nesting season is right around the corner for them.

          Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

          Great Blue Heron
          Canada Goose
          Mallard
          Northern Shoveler
          Northern Pintail
          Northern Harrier
          Red-tailed Hawk
          American Kestrel
          Ring-necked Pheasant
          California Quail
          Rock Dove
          Great Horned Owl
          Belted Kingfisher
          Downy Woodpecker
          Northern Flicker
          Black-billed Magpie
          Black-capped Chickadee
          Bewick's Wren
          American Robin
          European Starling
          Song Sparrow
          White-crowned Sparrow
          Golden-crowned Sparrow
          Dark-eyed Junco
          Red-winged Blackbird
          Western Meadowlark
          Brewer's Blackbird
          House Finch
          American Goldfinch
          House Sparrow

          Total number of species seen: 30

          Kerry Turley
          304 E. Woodin Rd.
          Sunnyside, WA 98944
        • Elizabeth Bohn
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 21, 2012

            Around 3 o'clock, my father and I went out birding at Toppenish Wildlife Refuge.  We saw quite a bit of birds.

            Redheads
            Black-billed Magpies
            Yellow-headed Blackbirds
            Mallards