Re: [birdyak] Arboretum Sparrow Patch (Birdyak)

  • Kerry Turley
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2000
      Joyce Lucas writes:

      >I also saw a bird which I tentatively identified as the Harris' sparrow.
      >Sizewise, it appeared to be a blimp compared to the other sparrows. It
      more
      >closely resembled the field guide pictures of an immature bird rather than
      an
      >adult. Any comments from others who have seen it? I could have been
      >mistaken.

      The two times I've seen the Harris' Sparrow it looked like a non-breeding
      adult. It had a scaled look to the crown and chin instead of the all black
      on a breeding adult. It was also more buff than grey around the auricular.
      The closest picture I've found was plate 22 # 54c in the "Sparrows and
      Buntings" Guide by Clive Byers et al.

      I find this sparrow patch a great place to compare and learn about the many
      different plumages and sparrows and I also thank Denny for creating it.

      “Fate succumbs many a species:
      one alone jeopardizes itself.”
      - W. H. Auden

      Kerry Turley <><