Arboretum Sparrow Patch (Birdyak)

  • AJBIRDS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2000
      I took a bag of bird seed and visited the Arboretum sparrow patch today
      (Sunday) and spent a chilly but very enjoyable couple of hours watching the
      crowd which included a fat squirrel who bellied up to the bar with the birds.

      The White Throated sparrow showed up after I had been there for a while. It
      flew in from the brush to the right of the feeding area and closer to the
      ponds to the north of the site.

      I also saw a bird which I tentatively identified as the Harris' sparrow.
      Sizewise, it appeared to be a blimp compared to the other sparrows. It more
      closely resembled the field guide pictures of an immature bird rather than an
      adult. Any comments from others who have seen it? I could have been
      mistaken.

      In addition to the birds on Denny's list, I saw a pair of Downy Woodpeckers,
      a Northern Flicker and several Golden Crowned Kinglets.

      Thanks Denny for creating the sparrow patch , and thanks also to you and the
      others who started Birdyak. It should add a lot to the enjoyment of birding
      in our area.

      Joyce Lucas
      Yakima
      ajbirds@...
    • Kerry Turley
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2000
        Joyce Lucas writes:

        >I also saw a bird which I tentatively identified as the Harris' sparrow.
        >Sizewise, it appeared to be a blimp compared to the other sparrows. It
        more
        >closely resembled the field guide pictures of an immature bird rather than
        an
        >adult. Any comments from others who have seen it? I could have been
        >mistaken.

        The two times I've seen the Harris' Sparrow it looked like a non-breeding
        adult. It had a scaled look to the crown and chin instead of the all black
        on a breeding adult. It was also more buff than grey around the auricular.
        The closest picture I've found was plate 22 # 54c in the "Sparrows and
        Buntings" Guide by Clive Byers et al.

        I find this sparrow patch a great place to compare and learn about the many
        different plumages and sparrows and I also thank Denny for creating it.

        “Fate succumbs many a species:
        one alone jeopardizes itself.”
        - W. H. Auden

        Kerry Turley <><