bird sightings needed and Wenas Lake Sunday

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26 8:53 PM

      I need a few bird sightings for my report in the newspaper this week.

      I went up to Wenas Lake this afternoon. The best find was a birder from
      Denmark who is touring the Northwest. He went on a week-long trip with
      Michael Carmody, who leads birding tours. They found about 230 species. He
      also went on a pelagic trip out of Westport and found many lifers.

      Wenas Lake was quite quiet. Killdeer, Spotted, Western, Least and Baird's
      Sandpipers, and one Red-necked Phalarope is all that were there. An Osprey
      was working the lake and finally caught a fish. About ten Common Nighthawks
      were flying over the lake.

      Denny
      * * * * * * * * * * *
      * Denny Granstrand *
      * Yakima, WA *
      * osprey@... *
      * * * * * * * * * * *
    • Ryans
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 27 9:01 AM
        Yesterday (8/26) when making our last check on the bluebird trail we saw a
        young coyote on Canteen Flat. It was about 50 feet from the car when we
        stopped to look at him and he was completely unconcerned about our presence.
        Also while coming down forest service road 1701 between Canteen Flat and
        Rocky Prairie we observed a hen turkey with three half-grown poults
        leisurely feeding. Bill & Edith
        ----------

      • Sturnella@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 27 1:15 PM
          Hi Denny
          My newest yard bird, # 162, is a Double-crested Cormorant on Aug. 25, flying
          right over our place.
          We've seen MacGillivary's, Yellow, Nashville and Yellow- rumped Warblers
          during the last week. Also Western Tanagers are passing thru the
          neighborhood. W. Meadowlarks are singing again and we saw a N. Harrier up on
          the ridge. Our pond has been pretty full for shorebirds lately- but will be
          very low the rest of the week, maybe some shorebirds will show up soon.
          Debie Brown
        • Kerry Turley
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27 7:31 PM
            Spent a couple of hours birding Sunday on the Yakima Reservation, not much
            going on with the heat and lack of water. The flooded field just west of Old
            Goldendale Rd. along the Marion Drain held quite a few KILLDEER, one COMMON
            SNIPE, one GREAT BLUE HERON, and one SOLITARY SANDPIPER. This field will be
            getting water for about one more month, then will probably dry up, it could
            be worth watching over the next few weeks.

            Ft. Simcoe produced the usual, LEWIS WOODPECKERS were abundant as well as
            NORTHERN FLICKER, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE, CALIFORNIA QUAIL and SONG SPARROW.

            Lateral C at Toppenish Creek still has plenty of BANK and BARN SWALLOWS, as
            well as a few RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS.

            Kerry Turley
            304 E. Woodin Rd.
            Sunnyside, WA 98944

          • BirdAHikes@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 28 8:13 PM
              Denny,

              Went to visit my son, Denny, in Victor, ID. We drove over to Jackson Hole and
              spied several Sandhill Cranes in the wetlands just NE of town. Drove up
              alongside the river and stopped at the Cunningham Cabin and heard more SDCs
              there. That was quite a treat for me because I've not been able to bird much
              this year what with going back to work full-time and didn't see any SDCs in
              our area this year.

              Maia Kelly