Rattlesnake Ridge today - 3 December

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2005
      Hi Everyone,

      Ellen went hiking, from our home on Parker Heights, north over Rattlesnake
      Ridge to Debie Brown's home on Konnowac Pass this morning. She left about 8
      am, so if any Snowy Owl was in the neighborhood, it might still be perched
      conspicuously. No Snowy Owl, but Ellen did flush a Short-eared Owl from the
      base of a Big Sagebush on bunchgrass-covered slope just south of Debie's
      place. Her bird list was a short one, as is typical of winter: a
      Black-billed Magpie, a Common Raven, a couple of House Finches, and a small
      flock of Dark-eyed Juncos.

      I went up to the ridgeline after lunch and added Red-tailed Hawk, a covey of
      about 10 Chukar, and 15 Horned Larks. Lean pickings, too ! But, as always,
      a beautiful trek.