Poorwills in east valley

  • S Ray
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2001

      I am hearing poorwills on my property this evening.  I live exactly 8 miles east of I-82 in low quality shrub-steppe.   This is the first non-spring time sighting I’ve had here.   This must be post breeding dispersal.

      Andy,  what is the mid and late summer status of poorwill in Yakima County?

      It won’t be much longer until the western kingbirds depart.  I would be interested to hear of last dates for this species in the area from any of you Yakkers.

      Scott Ray

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 9:49 PM
        Scott and Yakkers,

        Common Poorwill movements in late summer are relatively little-documented. As bouts of their calling diminishes, so does our detection of this enigmatic species. My latest is 30 October on the Rattlesnake Hills. Latest date in Yakima County is 6 October along Satus Creek.

        Andy