White-throated Sparrow at Poppoff

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2005

      After relocating the Red-necked Grebe (on the pond south of the parking lot)
      John reported yesterday, I wandered down the Poppoff Trail. Just after
      noon, I paused at the sparrow feeding area John established and viewed a
      White-throated Sparrow. Also at that spot were two Spotted Towhee, two
      Golden-crowned Sparrows, Black-capped Chickadee, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Juncos and
      White-crowned Sparrows.

      Viewing the bird from behind at first, my first thought from the dark
      patterned back and wide eyebrow was possible House Sparrow. As it moved about, the
      yellow lores, white throat and tan supercilium all stood out as well as the
      rufous tones on the primaries.

      And at the small crab apple tree near interpretive post # 8, a few
      Golden-crowned Kinglets were at work with Chickadees, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a
      Bewick's Wren.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2007

        I checked out the SPS (Sparrow Patch South) near the Poppoff Trail late
        yesterday afternoon. Little of note until John showed up and sprinkled
        some magic seed a little after 5 pm. As we were resigning to leave, John
        picked up a bit of a flash at the far right rear corner of the feeding area.
        Out hopped a White-throated Sparrow. Even though the light was waning
        and the sparrow preferred to lurk in the shadowy fringes, decent looks
        were obtained.

        On the blight side, also sampling seed were a pair of EEEECHS. What
        could be worse than the Expected Enigmatic Expatriated English Common
        House Sparrow? And although I say Expected, I refuse to infer invited or
        welcomed.

        Poppoff Pauper
        Onion Gulch, WA

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 18, 2014

          Just got a call from Kevin Lucas (3:30 Thursday).  He was sprucing up the area used in the past few years to offer seed to the sparrows and almost immediately heard and then saw a dark White-throated Sparrow.  He is pretty sure a second one was singing nearby.  The Thursday walkers paused at this spot without noting much activity.

          If you follow the paved pathway north from its intersection with the gravel Poppoff Trail, it is probably another two hundred yards to the feeding area.  There is one of the Greenway's concrete half-mile markers directly opposite of the feeding area...hard to miss if you are looking.

          Kevin did clean out the seed can (old garbage can) and added a fresh bag of seed.  Feel free to scatter some if you visit.

          Thanks for the work, Kevin!  Hope these gems stick around and draw friends.

          Poppoff Pauper