Innaccurate accipiter account

  • deborahessman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2005
      Oops--my last post was titled "Cooper's hawk..." but as the body of
      my text says, it was actually a Sharp-shinned hawk. The b.b. magpies
      looked quite large next to it. When surrounded it puffed up and tried
      to mantle menacingly until Bill came to the rescue. It was a nicely
      marked adult, and large enough to be a female I believe.

      I also forgot to mention that last Saturday we went up to the top of
      Naneum Ridge (6500') and got snowed and hailed upon. We saw quite a
      few blue grouse from the lower elevations (3000') almost to the top
      of the ridge. Still lots of mtn. bluebirds around too. We also spied
      a white-headed woodpecker as we came out Cooke Canyon. I know they're
      supposed to be here but it's the first one I've seen in the county.

      There's alot of high-pitched chipping in the willows this afternoon,
      I'm guessing yellow-rumpeds, but I'd better go check it out. I'm
      always hoping for something new in the way of warblers.

      Deborah on the Brick Mill north of Kittitas (again)