Re: Sage grouse sighting

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2005
      Hi Scott,

      I wonder if these are young birds? During my two seasons fieldwork on the
      adjacent Yakima Training Center, I found this species exceptionally furtive
      throughout the spring and suddenly "everywhere" in August which seems to be
      your experience this year on yoyr property . My take on their movements was
      these birds were moving about seeking either forb-rich (or green leafy
      Koshia, an introduced weed abundant along roadsides on the YTC) areas or
      water. Your property (with irrigation) may be just what they're looking for.
      I look forward to continued sightings from your property which abuts the
      YVAS Hoeger property. It may prove to be a post-breeding dispersal area.
      Lack of extensive Big Sagebrush habitat in the immediate area might preclude
      these birds from lingering too long this summer and fall. Keep me posted
      please.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2005
        Andy,

        Mac and I were photographing today on YTC and saw 6 sage grouse. Got photos
        of one, the others flushed out of range. This is the most I have ever seen
        out there.

        George Vlahakis