Common Terns north of Donald

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2005

      On my way back to Yakima on I-82 this afternoon, I saw three adult Common
      Terns flying over the first freeway pond north of the Donald exit, Exit
      44. I stopped, of course (who wouldn't!) and walked down to the fence on
      the west side of the pond. One of the terns flew quite close to me several
      times, giving me good looks at the two-tone bill --orange-red with a black
      tip, and the darkish primaries (the field guides say Common Terns have a
      dark wedge on the primaries but I think one has to be a very experienced
      tern observer to see it that way). Quite a nice sighting for a drive home
      from work.

      Denny

      * Denny Granstrand *
      * Yakima, WA *
      * dgranstrand@... *
      * Denny's bird photos can be seen online at: *
      http://granstrand.net/gallery/
    • Jeff Kozma
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2005
        Yesterday on my way home from Toppenish I saw two adult terns flying over the
        freeway ponds near the Wapato Exit. They were noticeably smaller than Caspian
        Terns but unfortunately, I couldn't stop. These were probably the same birds
        and support my suspicion that they were Common Terns.

        Jeff Kozma
        Yakima, WA

        --
        When life gives you lemons, squeeze them
        on crab cakes.

        Jeff Kozma
        TFW Wildlife Biologist
        Yakama Nation