Rufous Hummingbirds

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005
      I also had a female and an immature Rufous Hummingbird in my garden this
      morning (6/30) at the same time. The female was dominant over the
      immature bird, although both managed to feed in the flowers, one in the
      Penstemon barbatus and one in the
      'Lucifer' Crocosmia. The adult female eventually chased the other
      hummer across
      the street and she resumed feeding peacefully in the penstemons then
      moving over
      the rapidly fading Coral Bells. It was nice to see them again...last
      year they showed up a few weeks earlier (mid June) when my penstemons
      first started blooming. The penstemons are now about halfway through
      blooming, but still enough blooms for the hungry hummers.

      Jeff