Burrowing Owls

  • Mac Knight
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 15, 2005
      I forgot I posted photos of burrowing owls too. Found them just inside the L. T. Murray game range gate off of Buffalo Lane in Selah. On the left by a large hole about 1/8 mile from the gate.

      Mac
    • JOHN HEBERT
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 26, 2010
        Had Thanksgiving dinner with my neighbor and some of his bird hunting buddies. When I told them I had seen about 230 different species of birds in the county this year they were quite surprised at the high bird diversity in Yakima County. They were also surprised that I had missed Burrowing Owls for the year. I target shoot, as do they, at the Sun Valley Shooting Park on Suntargets Road in Moxee. It turns out that a family of Burrowing Owls lives on the property and were there this year. Also, one of the attendees at dinner is the civilian deputy commander at the YTC. He indicated that Burrowing Owls are seen each year, including this year, just off the main road not to far from Range Control.

        Looks like bird hunters can be a valuable source of information about non-game birds.

        John Hebert

      • zqhanneman
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2012
          I am going to be visiting your area over this long weekend and would very much like to take photographs of Burrowing Owls. If anyone has any directions to any locations that I might get to see them I would appreciate the help. I live in La Conner WA and would love to share information from my area with any and all of you.
        • Dodgerdog60@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2012
            Can someone give me the street directions to where you saw the Burrowing
            Owls?, I was planning on going to look for them saturday morning but I'm not
            sure of the location. I dont have a GPS so I need old fashioned directions
            (streets) Thank James from Yakima _Dodgerdog60@..._
            (mailto:Dodgerdog60@...)

          • Dodgerdog60@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2012
              I drove out to the site on saturday morning (52.4 milepost) parked on the
              little side road and crossed the road, I found the burrow but no Owl, I was
              out there from 5:45am till 7:00am, the site was just south of the indian
              cemetary. I sat quietly for over an hour but all I saw was a meadowlark and
              some Ravens. pretty disapointed, Owls are my target bird for the year. I'll
              wait for the next hot tip on one and try going back again soon.

              James, Yakima

            • G
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
                It didn't take long given the new dwelling for the male to attract company. Let the games begin.

                http://wdfw.wa.gov/wildwatch/owlcam/video_burrowing2.html