Eurasian Collared Dove

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 10, 2001
      Tweeters and Yakkers,

      There are 2 recent artuicles with good color photographs illustrating
      separation of Eurasian from Ringed Turtle Dove: American Birds 41:1370-1379,
      and North American Birds 53: 348-353. I will try to visit the feeding
      station again today and "take another look," focusing in on relative size,
      primary contrast in the folded wing, pattern of upper wing in flight,
      undertail covert coloration, pattern of undertail feathers. Since color
      distinction of Ringed Turtle Dove is judged "variable" in one paper, I will
      endeavor to downplay plumage color, which appear much more akin to all
      Eurasian Collared Dove photos than Ringed.

      Work in progress!

    • Kerry Turley
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 10, 2001
        Tweeters and Yakkers,

        I couldn't stand the excitement any longer, so I drove to Yakima to see the
        Dove in question. I was there about two hours and was graced with a five to
        ten minute look at the Dove from the side yard of the lady who is feeding
        the birds (sorry, I forgot her name, but she is very hospitable and excited
        about the bird).

        The only experience I have with the Eurasian Collered Dove is a one day trip
        to see them at Grand Isle in Louisiana just last week and I have virtually
        no experience with Ringed Turtle Doves.

        My first impression of the Yakima bird is that it was very white looking
        compared to the grayer tones I remember from the LA birds (this could just
        be a situation of better light). Also, the primaries were not as dark as I
        remember on the LA Doves and I agree with Denny's obsevation that the
        coverts looked white, although I did think I saw a small flash of black near
        the coverts when the Dove flared to land. Unfortunately I was unable to get
        any photos, as I was looking through the fence.

        I don't know if these observations will help with an ID or not, but it sure
        is a great way to learn to become more observant and sharpen my field note
        taking skills.

        Kerry Turley
        Sunnyside, WA
        kdturley@...

      • Bobbinlisa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 14, 2003
          Okay this is not a joke. My yard, this evening, eating seed on the ground
          from the feeders, drinking out of the bird bath and roosting for a nap in my
          juniper trees out front. It then decided to roost for a while on the back of my
          pickup bed and then flew in to the big Pine tree right next to my fence. It
          hung around for a good two hours. I think it is roosting the night in the
          pine. Is this a first or just a first for me? What the heck would this dove be
          doing so far West? I do have a witness as my roommate was the first to see it.
          I thought at first that it was just a regular dove until I realized I had
          never seen a dove quite that pinkish color with only the black ring around the
          back of its neck. Really friendly bird and did not seem to care about me
          trying to get closer to it. I had no film for my camera but am purchasing some
          tomorrow so just in case its back I can get a photo.
          Bobbi Alseth
          65 West Prasch

        • Kerry Turley
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 14, 2003
            Bobbi and Yakkers,

            My first thought was Ringed Turtle-Dove, but all things are possible when
            dealing with birds, they don't read the books that tell us where thay are
            and aren't.

            According to the "Sibley Guide to Birds" some Ringed Turtle-Doves show a
            natural color that is very similar to Eurasian Collared-Dove. If you get
            another look, try to check the undertail coverts and tail pattern. The
            Eurasian Collared-Dove will have gray undertail coverts with dark outer web,
            while the Ringed Turtle-Dove will have white undertail coverts and white
            outer web.

            Let us know if this bird hangs around, it could well be worth chasing down.

            Kerry Turley
            Sunnyside
            kdturley@...

            > Okay this is not a joke. My yard, this evening, eating seed on the ground
            > from the feeders, drinking out of the bird bath and roosting for a nap in
            my
            > juniper trees out front. It then decided to roost for a while on the back
            of my
            > pickup bed and then flew in to the big Pine tree right next to my fence.
            It
            > hung around for a good two hours. I think it is roosting the night in the
            > pine. Is this a first or just a first for me? What the heck would this
            dove be
            > doing so far West? I do have a witness as my roommate was the first to
            see it.
            > I thought at first that it was just a regular dove until I realized I had
            > never seen a dove quite that pinkish color with only the black ring around
            the
            > back of its neck. Really friendly bird and did not seem to care about me
            > trying to get closer to it. I had no film for my camera but am purchasing
            some
            > tomorrow so just in case its back I can get a photo.
            > Bobbi Alseth
            > 65 West Prasch

          • Jeff Kozma
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 15, 2003
              It could also be an escaped caged pet bird. This could explain its
              friendliness.

              Kerry Turley wrote:

              > Bobbi and Yakkers,
              >
              > My first thought was Ringed Turtle-Dove, but all things are possible when
              > dealing with birds, they don't read the books that tell us where thay are
              > and aren't.
              >
              > According to the "Sibley Guide to Birds" some Ringed Turtle-Doves show a
              > natural color that is very similar to Eurasian Collared-Dove. If you get
              > another look, try to check the undertail coverts and tail pattern. The
              > Eurasian Collared-Dove will have gray undertail coverts with dark outer web,
              > while the Ringed Turtle-Dove will have white undertail coverts and white
              > outer web.
              >
              > Let us know if this bird hangs around, it could well be worth chasing down.
              >
              > Kerry Turley
              > Sunnyside
              > kdturley@...

              Jeff Kozma
              TFW Wildlife Biologist
              Yakama Nation
              509-865-6262 ext. 6657

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 15, 2003
                Bobbi and Yakkers,

                I just received a phone call from Denny Granstrand. On his way to work this
                morning, he swung through the neighborhood of the reported possible Eurasian
                Collared Dove. He felt he had good looks at the dove and decided that the
                undertail coverts were white...there also appeared to be little contrast in the
                primaries compared to the wing as a whole. His opinion is that it is a
                Ringed-turtle Dove.

                He also managed to get some pictures...I'm guessing it will be this evening
                before he is able to post them to the BirdYak website or analyze them
                thoroughly as he was en route to work. On the subject of BirdYak photos, I have been
                unable to access them lately...even using my Yahoo ID and password. Are others
                still able to view the photos?

                But congratulations to Bobbi for recognizing that she didn't have an ordinary
                pigeon...okay, Rock Dove. Putting the Eurasian name on it was a feat in
                itself as the bird is not depicted in all field guides. As the Eurasian and
                Ringed are so similar, it was a worthy post and fanned the hopes of finding one of
                these fast spreading species in the valley. One was documented in the
                Wenatchee area last year so stay alert. Our time is coming.

                While the Ringed Turtle-Dove is considered a domestic escapee, it is
                nonetheless a very striking bird. I may cruise by hoping to catch a glimpse of this
                beauty. It may help prepare me for an encounter with the Eurasian someday.

                Thanks again for posting promptly Bobbi. While you may be a bit disappointed
                if it proves to be the Ringed Turtle Dove, you should rejoice in its beauty
                and the excitement of discovery that it created.

                Also, both birds are v

              • Jeff Kozma
                Message 7 of 10 , May 17, 2007
                  I saw a Eurasian Collared Dove perched on a wire along Ahtanum road
                  about .5 miles before Tampico this morning while headed out to the
                  Ahtanum area.

                  Jeff Kozma
                  Yakima

                • Scott R a y
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2009
                    An Eurasian Collared Dove was seen again on Mieras Road just west of
                    the intersection of Beaudry Road this morning.
                    This is likely the same individual that has been seen off and on here
                    for several months.

                    Scott R a y
                    Yakima, WA
                    mryakima at gmail dot com
                    East Valley area
                  • Scott R a y
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 20, 2010
                      I don't know if people are reporting or care to hear about this species
                      anymore since it is becoming fairly common. But there were three of them
                      on power lines a hundred yards past the "end of county road" sign on Mieras
                      Road east of Yakima this morning.

                      Scott

                      Scott R a y
                      Yakima, WA
                      mryakima at gmail dot com

                    • Alice Nevue
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 30, 2010
                        Hi Everyone. This is Alice Nevue from the West side of the state. Even
                        though you have had sightings of the Eurasian Collared Dove for a few years
                        now, I have not heard of sightings over here. So when I saw one on top of a
                        telephone pole at my home I was a bit excited. I plan to post my siting
                        over here and see if this is a 'ho-hum' thing or if it might be 'new'. I am
                        still keeping track of your comments on 'Bird Yak'--so Happy Birding to all.