Final annual migrant

  • S Ray
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001

      Thursday at 6pm I saw my first Nighthawks (25 of ‘em over Hwy 24 at Yakima River) of the year.  I believe they are the final spring migrant to arrive in this state.

      I’m curious to hear of ya’ll’s first date for this species this spring.

      Scott Ray

    • Sturnella@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2001
        I heard Nighthawks over our place on May 31st. Seems like they are later than
        usual to me. Usually show up around the 18th or so.

        Debie Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2001

          The posts on the valley's final annual migrant prompted me to head down to
          Lateral C to check for Bobolinks.  After a short search, I located them on
          the West side of Lateral C approx 50 yds north of the last bridge prior to
          Toppenish Creek.  I observed 5 or 6 males which chased after the 2 or 3
          females in this area.  Red-winged Blackbirds seem to dominate the closest 50
          to 70 yards of habitat parallel to the road with the Bobolinks being further
          out...new scope came in handy as they were practically out of bino range.

          Did anyone get out there in May to record an earlier arrival date?

        • S Ray
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2001

            Rich,

            Good point.  I had forgotten about Bobolinks’ late arrival.  They may indeed be later here than Common Nighthawk on average.  I believe they arrive in late May at Malheur, so may be even later here.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2001
              Scott,

              We had 1 Common Nighthawk flying west 25 May at 8 PMm at Swanson Lakes Wildlife Area in Lincoln County (~10 miles south of US-2).

              Regarding Bobolinks, I would say they are earlier than nighthawks on average, say by 5-10 days.

              Andy