Bluebird Class of 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2001

      I monitored the bluebird nest boxes along N. Wenas Rd (from Wenas Lake to
      Audubon Rd) and in Hardy Canyon on Wednesday.

      As Acting Superintendent of these two trails, I am pleased to announce that 5
      nestlings in Hardy Canyon and 6 nestlings from N. Wenas Rd have met all
      bluebird educational requirements of their respective nest boxes and have
      graduated to fledgling status.  It is my sincere hope that all these
      fledglings will safely complete their secondary education in the field under
      the watchful guidance of their parents.  We look forward to enjoying their
      perseverance and beauty for many years.  May the cycle continue!

      Many potential graduates are continuing their personal growth on both trails.
       A quick recap:

      Hardy Canyon:
        Western Bluebirds-10 nests, 0 eggs, 49 nestlings
        Tree Swallows-        4 nests, 16 eggs,  0 nestlings

      N. Wenas Rd:
        Western Bluebirds- 25 nests, 14 eggs, 74 nestlings
        Tree Swallows-         7 nests, 34 eggs, 0 nestlings

      A quick note on the Vredenburgh Trail (Audubon Rd to Durr Rd), Box #43 has
      White-breasted Nuthatch nestlings (approx 12 days old) with the cutest, as in
      almost comical, bills.  The bill reminds me of the bone in a T-bone steak,
      wide at the base and quickly narrowing to a long point.  'Course those
      memories go way back to my working days as I've been seeing a lot of chicken
      since I retired.

      PS  Bob & Leslie - #9 has a Western female brooding chicks-4 feathered ones
      were visible on Wednesday.