Merlin

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2005
      I saw a female MERLIN land on the peak of my neighbors house this morning overlooking my yard. She sat there for a little while then launched off and flew down my yard and out
      like a miniature fighter jet. I can also hear the LONG-BILLED CURLEWS almost daily now as they perform their mid-air courtship displays.

      Jeff Kozma
      Yakima (Terrace Heights)

    • Mike Roper
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 8, 2005
        There was a male dark immature male Merlin in my neighbor's fir tree. It
        made a dash out to buzz a sparrow and then went back to the tree. It stuck
        around too long to be in migration mode but not long enough to get out the
        scope. We may have a wintering black Merlin in Terrace Heights.

        Mike Roper

        S 41st St in Terrace Heights

      • Jeff Kozma
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 26, 2006
          I saw a female "dark" Merlin at the intersection of Lockhart and
          Hillcrest in Terrace Heights this morning. It landed at the top of a
          tall pine as I was driving buy. The striping on the breast was thick
          and dark, so one of the darker forms of this species.

          Also saw a Northern Shrike west of the Roslyn Exit along I-90 this morning.

          Jeff Kozma
          Yakima

          --
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender,
          your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader.

          Jeff Kozma
          TFW Wildlife Biologist
          Yakama Nation
          509-865-5121 ext. 6343

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 27, 2006
            Chirp,

            In my recap of the Poppoff walk, I neglected to mention that one of our
            walkers returned in the afternoon to check on the Great Horned Owl and was
            rewarded with a solid look at a Merlin in the same general location that the
            Prairie Falcon had been perched. A Merlin has not been captured on our "official"
            morning walks this year...got to work harder to master the magic.

            The Great Horned, by the way, was missing at 1:30 pm but near the original
            location at 15:30.

          • Jeff Kozma
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
              I had a Merlin fly through the yard on Saturday after the birds at my
              feeders. Then I saw it again on Sunday going after the Mourning Doves
              that frequent the yard of the house across the street. This is probably
              the same dark phase bird I have seen else where in the Terrace Heights
              area and also by others posting to Birdyak. Also had a "Slate-colored"
              (eastern form) of the Dark-eyed Junco in the yard at the feeders in
              addition to the more common "Oregon" form. Made for a good comparison.
              I also had a "Slate-colored" form last winter as well.

              Jeff Kozma
              Yakima (Terrace Heights)

            • ty604di@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
                Hi all ,
                I haven`t posted a note in along time . The flower shop lease ran out at
                the building that I have been at for 21 years , the landlord has been a real
                poop so I have been getting my new place ready for business , the shop is now
                downstairs at the Terrace Hghts. Civic Center ... We are repainting , etc. so
                haven`t had much time see what is going on at home ... I am feeding the wild
                Mallards , going thru 100 pounds a week of cracked corn , there is a Ringneck
                Pheasant that has been in the neighborhood for a month now ...Huge amounts of
                Quail ... And the dark Merlin buzz`s the place many times , there are
                scattered feathers under many tree`s ... A Mink got into the pens last month
                killing my rabbit and one duck and wounding others ... Also I have a young Owl that
                perches on the garden gate watching the pasture , I can get quite close to
                him ...
                Diane in Terrace Hghts.

              • ty604di@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 28, 2006
                  Hi everyone ,

                  Sunday morning as I watched out my window finding both White and Gold
                  Crowned Sparrows along with many Juncos either at the feeder or feeding in the
                  bushes with the quail when the birds all took off , one of the Quail smacked
                  into the window waking this ole girl up . A Merlin flew in and perched about
                  10 feet from the window , the birds that didn`t fly in time froze under the
                  bushes . He took his time picking out one and slammed into the bush after the
                  dazed Quail . He is a daily buzz thru the place .The Mallard count is over 200
                  now that I am feeding .A few are injured from hunters .
                  Diane Conrad

                • Doris Robinson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 27, 2008
                    This morning while Larry was walking down the
                    driveway counting Juncos, he spotted movement up the
                    hill. On further inspection, he identified a male
                    Merlin. This was about ll:15, and now at almost 2:30
                    he just checked and it's still sitting high up in a
                    pine tree. The last sighting we had of a Merlin was
                    February 27 of last year.Still no Red Polls, but he's
                    keeping an eye out.
                    Larry and Doris Robinson
                    Nile Valley

                    Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                  • Jeff Kozma
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                      I saw a Merlin this morning perched in a maple tree near the
                      intersection of Maple and Hillcrest in Terrace Heights. Cute little
                      guy/gal. Maybe the same one see at Mike Roper's home.

                      Jeff Kozma

                      Terrace Heights

                    • kozma.jeff
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 21, 2010
                        This morning there was a Merlin sitting on the peak of my neighbors roof. I saw the bird there three different times today, so must be a prominent point for hunting forays. This is the 3rd or 4th year I have seen a Merlin in November here at my house.

                        Jeff Kozma

                        Yakima (Terrace Heights)
                      • raptornut@charter.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 30, 2012
                          The Merlin must be settling into their winter territories. I saw one
                          yesterday at the Terrace Heights Cemetery and another along the freeway
                          today between 16th and 40th. The one yesterday did a slow sweeping pass
                          over the duck pond. I had my camera but was too slow to get the photo as
                          it flew within 30 feet of me. I did get a distant shot of it on a
                          treetop though.
                          Mike Roper