Wenas

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2005
      I was back out along the Ellensburg Pass Road yesterday working. It was a pretty
      quiet day bird wise, but the highlight was a CLARK'S NUTCRACKER viewed from the road
      as I was eating lunch. Other birds seen were few and far between.

      White-headed Woodpecker (1)
      Mountain Chickadee (2)
      Common Raven (2)

      Near Wenas Lake I spotted a flock of ~10 WESTERN BLUEBIRDS and 1 NORTHERN SHRIKE.
      Numerous American Kestrels and Red-tailed Hawks were seen as well.

      Along Ahtanum Road, between Ahtanum and Tampico I saw an adult COOPER'S HAWK and
      another along HWY 97 near Toppenish.

      Good birding.

      Jeff

    • kevinslucas
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2012
        Mary & Hailey & I visited the Wenas this afternoon, parking at the
        locked yellow gate & walking in. Where there was water on the road,
        there was always an area where it was only an inch deep. It seems like
        it was mostly highlights:
        a lone Northern Rough-winged Swallow that we watched for about 20
        minutes - our first for the year,
        a male Northern Harrier harassing an American Kestrel,
        another male Northern Harrier harassing a Red-tailed Hawk,
        loads of Western Bluebirds,
        8 Mountain Chickadees,
        8 Barrow's Goldeneyes & pair of Hooded Mergansers on a calm Wenas Lake,
        Mary spotting her 1st Osprey of the year over Naches River at Hwy 12
        near Painted Rocks,
        & 12 Turkey Vultures above 40th Avenue near Scenic Drive - our first
        TV's this year.
        Kevin Lucas & Mary Giovanini