Two Gorgeous Sisters!

  • John J. Hebert
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2004
      It's amazing how attractive a fairly plain bird can become when
      you finally find one that you've sought for awhile. Such was my
      experience today when I found two female RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS
      (#246) below the dam at Priest Rapids.

      There were tens of thousands of ducks between the Priest Rapids
      and Wanapum Dams on the Columbia River today. They included:
      Coots, Mallards, Northern Pintail (a few), Gadwall, American
      Widgeon, Green-winged Teal, Greater Scaup, Ring-necked Duck,
      Canvasback, Readhead, Common Goldeneye, Barrow's Goldeneye,
      Bufflehead, Common Merganser, Red-breasted Merganser (2), Hooded
      Merganser (4).

      Another highlight was 3 TUNDRA SWANS across the River. If they
      hadn't been calling I wouldn't have know if they were Tundra or
      Trumpeter. I also saw another Tundra at close range just north of
      the county line.

      About three miles East of Ellensburg in a field along I-90 there
      was a large flock of Canada Geese and one SNOW GOOSE (on very
      close inspection).

      Enjoy,

      J. Hebert
      Yakima, WA
    • Jeff Kozma
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15, 2004
        I saw 24 Tundra Swans on the Columbia on Saturday above the I-90 Bridge.
        We harvested 2 Lesser Scaup, so both species of Scaup are present on the
        river now. Also saw 2 Western Grebes, 1 Pied-billed Grebe and 1 Common
        Loon.

        Jeff